Home made feeds
Spec Offline
I set up a nettle press today, it's made with a 4ft long by 4inch diameter drain pipe wire mesh secured at the bottom as a filter and a empty wine bag fitted to the bottom to catch any liquid, I filled the pipe with nettles then put a 14lb hammer head into the pipe to act as a press, fitted a cap to the pipe then suspended the pipe from a tree, this setup works with comfrey, I have 3 or 4 lts. of confrey juice collected this way but do you think it will work with nettles?
[-] The following 5 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
I don’t see why not.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Why not soak the nettles in a bucket? Why use a press?
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec

Spec Offline
(22-06-2021, 10:21 PM)Scarlet Wrote: Why not soak the nettles in a bucket? Why use a press?

Useing a press makes the feed solution more concentrated, therfore easier to store, plus the two kettles I use for making plant feeds are in use one with seaweed the other with a weed mix, docs, dandelion and whatever else was in the garden when I was setting up
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Good enough reason. I would like some little bottles - much easier to keep and store.
Has it worked??
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(22-06-2021, 08:56 PM)Spec Wrote: I set up a nettle press today, it's made with a 4ft long by 4inch diameter drain pipe wire mesh secured at the bottom as a filter and a empty wine bag fitted to the bottom to catch any liquid, I filled the pipe with nettles then put a 14lb hammer head into the pipe to act as a press, fitted a cap to the pipe then suspended the pipe from a tree, this setup works with comfrey, I have 3 or 4 lts. of confrey juice collected this way but do you think it will work with nettles?
I made a similar setup last year using a full pop bottle as the weight with a length of string tied on the top to retrieve. That was the Mk 1 version which didn't work too well because the pipe was too small a diameter. I have scrounged a larger pipe about 150mm/ 6 inches diameter and a metre/yard and a bit long.
Once I get on top of the rest of the plot I will eventually get round to fixing it to my IBC tank frame where I can get feed and water at the same place!
I have already had one cutting from the comfrey and it is ready for another. I usually get four or five cuttings from it per season. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Spec

Spec Offline
Yes just had a look at it today and there is some juice starting to build up, now need to consider what to store it in, I have a 3lt stainless steel flask, that has not been used for several years, but not sure as there are so many memories associated with it, aaach I will just use a milk bottle Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Jimny14 Offline
I'm interested in this as a plan. Has anyone used or heard of using bracken as a liquid feed? I have a small patch which if I don't find a use for may have to get dug out, but that could be annoying.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(25-06-2021, 07:56 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: I'm interested in this as a plan. Has anyone used or heard of using bracken as a liquid feed? I have a small patch which if I don't find a use for may have to get dug out, but that could be annoying.

Don't know about a liquid feed but Dalefoot composts use bracken and sheep wool mix for their composts. It would need cutting before any spores were present as these are carcinogenic. It would be excellent added to a compost heap. you could probably cut it like comfrey, a few times a year.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, Spec

Spec Offline
[quote="Vinny" pid='25982' I made a similar setup last year using a full pop bottle as the weight with a length of string tied on the top to retrieve. That was the Mk 1 version which didn't work too well because the pipe was too small a diameter. I have scrounged a larger pipe about 150mm/ 6 inches diameter and a metre/yard and a bit long.
Once I get on top of the rest of the plot I will eventually get round to fixing it to my IBC tank frame where I can get feed and water at the same place!
I have already had one cutting from the comfrey and it is ready for another. I usually get four or five cuttings from it per season. :)
[/quote]
Vinny how do you catch the liquid from your press, as I have said I use the bag from a wine box, this is taped on at the bottom of the pipe, and as it has a tap on it for draining, I don't need to disconnect it from the pipe, but still think there could be a better method
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man