A Cutting Patch
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I acquired some Kaffir lilies/schizostylus earlier this year and they've started to flower now. Whilst looking for information I came across a Cornish Blooms by Post website https://cornishblooms.co.uk/about/ and they have detailed information about how they grow some of their flowers for posting :-

Kaffir Lilies
Japanese Asters
Brodiaea
Cornflower
Campanula
Sweet_William
Daffodils
Scillas
Scented Pinks
Scented Narcissi

May be a good list for me to start with! If I could fill my garden with these I'd be a happy chicken. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Scented Narcissi!
I had a mad idea in April....lots of lovely scented daffs - only 300 bulbs to go!
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Enjoyed reading that website VC - they have a few videos...

I have been trying to grow some ranunculus- the first lot rotted, the second lot the bloody mice have been having a go! Lids on the trays too Sad I should have made sure they were on properly Sad

Anyone else grow ranunculus and anemones?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I thought it was interesting too - especially for you, Scarlet, who sells cut flowers. If their flowers are robust enough to survive the postal service, they must be tough!
Never grown ranunculus and only halfheartedly, anemones. I do like them though!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet

Farendwoman Offline
(25-10-2021, 09:23 PM)Scarlet Wrote: Enjoyed reading that website VC - they have a few videos...

I have been trying to grow some ranunculus- the first lot rotted, the second lot the bloody mice have been having a go! Lids on the trays too Sad I should have made sure they were on properly Sad

Anyone else grow ranunculus and anemones?

Farendwoman Offline
Yep - always unsuccessful with these! They always rot for me too - but hope springs eternal. I keep trying!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(27-10-2021, 04:31 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Yep - always unsuccessful with these! They always rot for me too - but hope springs eternal. I keep trying!
I've got about 30 that are up and looking nice and green. A bit worried to unlid about them though as the mice are loving them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I've grown two large pots of these supposedly for cutting,on the greenhouse staging because I was told they aren't hardy. Out of two potfuls only one plant has flowered and they were far too big for the staging. Beautiful flower (Can't remember name?) but I unsure whether to just chuck em when they die down or bung em in the herbaceous border some where as a foliage plant. Rolleyes

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

MartinH Offline
I had to look that one up, Vinny. I've grown it before but couldn't remember.

They are Aciderantha, or Abyssinian Gladioli!

Sounds like they aren't quite as hardy as regular gladdies, though. That would be why mine didn't come up again the following year after I left them out in the cold clay soil for the winter.

I think I would empty your pots, save the biggest corms and plant them somewhere more suitable next May!
[-] The following 5 users Like MartinH's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Acidanthera muriel-something!!
I have some in a pot with some spring bulbs and these always surprise me flowering at this time of year! I should know by now............. but I like surprises.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, MartinH, Small chilli, Vinny