Toad
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
It wasn't in a pond but I think they are classed as pondlife.

3 times this week I've opened the door of a brick outbuilding and come across a toad. The first time I saw it I thought it must have followed me in so I took it outside and put it in some long grass. But the next 2 times it was definitely inside when I opened the door and I wondered how it got there and why as it is not damp and there is nothing for it to eat.
I suppose it is possible that 3 toads followed me the once but, if so they were all the same size.
I do occasionally get mice in there but I have assumed they climbed up the walls as we often get them in the attic.
How big a hole would they be able to get through I wonder and can they climb?
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've seen a toad climbing steps in the garden - took a while and a lot of stretching but it did it.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve seen toads climb steps & over my raised bed edges. There’s usually at least one spends a lot of time in the polytunnel.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
How much of a gap under the door? Half an inch and the toad can get in, same as a mouse.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
The toad is back. No gap under door but it could have jumped in when I entered. May be there are plenty of spiders or whatever it eats in there:

The doorway looks like it needs a bit of  clean.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
That gap by the toad's head between the wood and the stone (?) is plenty big enough for it to get through. It's probably sleeping in the outbuilding during the day and going out in the nighttime cool to eat your slugs. I should leave it be. I had one for several years used to spend the day under a broken flowerpot, and hibernate over winter buried in the soil under a large planter. I only found that out when I nearly skewered it forking over the ground in early spring!
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moth's post:
  • Can the Man