Mango
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’m having a go at growing a mango from seed. I’ve been watching more YouTube videos.

Remove most of the flesh from your seed.

You find a easy access point along the fat side. With a blunt knife or spoon prize it open not damaging the seed inside or yourself  Rolleyes .

Peel the skin off the seed. Then it’s the old cocktail stick trick over a jar of water. With just the growing tip in the water.

I’ll keep you up dated on success’s or failures. 

I really must try this with a fruit I actually like eating one day  Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've had a mango seed staring at me for weeks, going mouldy!! I tried to wash off the remains of the flesh, couldn't, put it to one side to dry off and it went mouldy - but dry!
I've just split the outer shell and the inner seed also has a hard shell - too hard for tooth picks. I've dumped it in a glass of water - it'll either sink or swim. Smile

EDIT - just attacked the floating seed with a knife and split that one - the real seed inside was in 2 halves, very black and dry. I think it too late for this one.......Go, Man, Go>>>>>>
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Brilliant idea and a great excuse to buy a mango! I adore mangoes but can't justify it out of the household budget, but if it's for the garden that's a different kettle of fish Smile
I've had successes with peaches/nectarines but one hundred percent failures with avocados so hopefully this will be another goer. 
Good luck!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I haven't tried mango see but I am still battling on with avocado.

I have three avocado stones in a small bowl of water in the propagator. I change the water every day and it is quite warm as you can imagine. My logic is that Avocado's grow in hot countries so maybe the tepid water will help. Nothing yet, but at least they haven't rotted. Rolleyes

Good luck with your Mango SC! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I had a mango seed germinate in my compost bin. I tried to grow it but it failed....love mangos!
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I've had one on the go for a few days too, though I'm trying the damp kitchen towel in a plastic baggie method. I don't think my seed was in the best shape to start with though, so I think it's just going to mould.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I have chucked my mango seed Sad I'll try again next time I have a mango.

However, I do have some lychee seeds from fruit I've just eaten, so they are up next!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Mine is definitely doing something. But it does seem to be splitting its self in half. So I’m not sure if we are successful or not yet. But I’ve just acquired 2 more so I might set up another one when they’ve been eaten.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Proserpina, Veggie