Tips and Tricks
Admin Offline
The Boss
We have started adding some sub categories in the "From Seed to Plant (Edibles)" area.

If you have any tips or tricks that you would like to share please add them there, we have started the ball rolling with Brens excellent tip on saving her cucumber, thanks for sharing Bren Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Admin's post:
  • Bren, Neffa, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I would like some tips or tricks to help me keep my nails and hands clean once the gardening season starts. All winter I have acceptable nails and clean hands, come February/March they start going manky. Grimy and split nails, rough hands which no amount of wearing gloves, scrubbing or hand cream seems to help.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(05-06-2020, 11:13 AM)JJB Wrote: I would like some tips or tricks to help me keep my nails and hands clean once the gardening season starts.  All winter I have acceptable nails and clean hands, come February/March  they start going manky.  Grimy and split nails, rough hands which no amount of wearing gloves, scrubbing or hand cream seems to help.

'Mucky mitts' is a good name for a gardening forum. Big Grin I gave my nails a good chop yesterday so they look a bit cleaner. Idea
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(06-06-2020, 09:31 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 11:13 AM)JJB Wrote: I would like some tips or tricks to help me keep my nails and hands clean once the gardening season starts.  All winter I have acceptable nails and clean hands, come February/March  they start going manky.  Grimy and split nails, rough hands which no amount of wearing gloves, scrubbing or hand cream seems to help.

'Mucky mitts' is a good name for a gardening forum. Big Grin I gave my nails a good chop yesterday so they look a bit cleaner. Idea

Perhaps, but would we be confused with a nail salon Smile ?  So pleased you are now our most elegant gardener, how long will it last? Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay

Neffa Offline
Tons of moisturiser shoved into rubber gloves for a couple of hours in front of the tv. If dry, flaky skin is a problem add salt or sugar and wiggle the gloves about for a while.
Fortooties - loads of olive oil + sugar or sand. Feet shoved into large sandwich bags then put socks on. Again sit in front of the box for an hour.

Hoo Hoo Boss

How about a sub category called Waste not Want not where everybody can offer money saving ideas and how to re utilise things like marg tubs and yoghurt pots etc.

Don’t get me started on milk for mildew or dissolvable asperin.
Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. 

Quote author unknown.
[-] The following 3 users Like Neffa's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Sounds like a plan, although I can hear the comments now about watching TV with rubber gloves and plastic bags on. Now a solution to the grimy places on the edges of nails that the nail brush can't reach, please Neffa.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Neffa

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
If you enjoy gardening Stop caring what you’re hands look like  Wink
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(06-06-2020, 02:34 PM)Small chilli Wrote: If you enjoy gardening Stop caring what you’re hands look like  Wink

I'll try, but when I return to work I might have to do summat.  I'm a secretary - shorthand and typing for a very posh boss, grubby nails lead to embarrassment....don't care about feet though so there's some consolationSmile
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay

SarrissUK Offline
haha I know what you mean JJB - I go to meetings with senior people, and being a project manager they might expect me to look a bit professional. I so often let them down, but often come carrying bags of rhubarb and chard for them, so that helps smooth things over lol
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
(23-05-2020, 03:11 PM)Neffa Wrote: How about a sub category called Waste not Want not where everybody can offer money saving ideas and how to re utilise things like marg tubs and yoghurt pots etc.

Don’t get me started on milk for mildew or dissolvable asperin.

Tell me more about milk for mildew and asprin please x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 3 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Neffa