Kohlrabi
Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Does anyone have much experience of kohlrabi growing, especially late sowing for a late Autumn/Winter harvest? Realseeds seem to suggest that this is possible, and I'm wondering whether they might be something I could grow on a window sill from a June sowing until October, and then plant out when (if!) I have a garden? Or will they be enormous by then, or hate being transplanted?
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

mcdood Offline
They are usually ready to harvest in 3 to 4 months and grow to about the size of a smallish cabbage so I don't think it would work very well for you tbh. Most crops for winter/early spring harvest will do most of their growing over the period you mention of June to October and then just tick over over winter and with some another short growth spurt in Spring so not sure what to suggest as suitable for you, hopefully someone else will have a bright idea.
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Just sown 30 seeds in modules this morning. I grew them many years ago but this variety is supposed to be a giant variety whereas the green/purple ones I grew in the past only made tennis ball size.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina

toomanytommytoes Offline
I don't think they would last well on a windowsill until October. They don't mind being transplanted but it's probably best to do when they're relatively young. Like mcdood says, they won't do much after October. They get a foot or more tall so you'd need a pot of decent volume.

For planting in October you're likely to do better with things like spinach, pak choi, radish, winter radish, mustard greens, baby leaf kale, winter lettuce, spring onions and rocket. Sown in August/early September they can go into a greenhouse or under cover outdoors in October and crop well over winter. Lambs lettuce and miner's lettuce can stay outside without cover. Frost hardy cabbages like Winterjewel and Spring Hero can stay outside all winter for cropping in April/May. Cabbages, cauliflower and perhaps calabrese can all overwinter in pots in a greenhouse to be planted out in early spring.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I’ve never even eaten kohlrabi, what does it taste of, and how would you normally cook it ?
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

mcdood Offline
Tastes to me quite similar to a turnip. I eat it raw in salads either grated or sliced but I suppose you could boil or roast too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Here you go Can.
This make me want to try eating it again.

https://www.thekitchn.com/5-tasty-ways-t...rabi-60321

I was given a kohlrabi many years ago and told to treat it like a carrot. I really don’t like it and have never tried again. So never grown it either. Think I’ll give it a go if I ever get my hands on seeds & my own garden to plant them in.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, MartinH

Bren Offline
I've grown them before but they were rather small, used them in coleslaw and gratins mostly.

One of MrB's friends eats them like apples.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

MartinH Offline
I grow Kohl Rabi most years. I sowed some seed this week, in fact.

We've tried various ways of cooking them but there's so little flavour left that it doesn't seem worth the bother. They are nice raw though, we generally cut them into sticks to eat as part of a salad or with dips. Like it says in SC's article, they are sort of turnip-like with a hint of mild radish.
[-] The following 3 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've never eaten it - have tried to grow it a couple of times - just because I had seeds. It was a very half-hearted try and failed miserably. I'm not a fan of turnips and it sounds like a turnip with legs!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man