Vertical Squash
mcdood Offline
Each year I seem to forget just how much space it takes when growing squash. I have 8 uchiki kuri plants and 6 butternuts and I'm going to struggling to squeeze them all in. I grow some together with sweetcorn in a bed and that works well, not tried the 3 sisters yet as that sounds a bit messy?. I also grow some in compost bins (full of horse muck) and let them trail over the sides so I know they can cope with trailing but I know some people grow them upwards. I probably have room in one of the CFB beds to give this a shot and while I doubt a bamboo structure is going to be strong enough I may try 1 uchiki this way for a challenge.
Anyone tried growing them upwards?
[-] The following 5 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I grow spaghetti squash at a jaunty rather than vertical.

I seem to have had a fat finger moment and put a photo of my tromboncino (middle photo) . Which is ok because I grow him vertically. He’s very happy going up.
What ever you do you will need to have a heavy duty frame for climbing & the fruits will need supporting while growing.
I found making hammocks out of old tea towels worked well.
This is last years. Not plant out yet this year. Will be done the same.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, mcdood, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I tried BNS last year - they just slid down the supports!
Like SC, I've grown them over a sloping grid. supported on the sunny side with posts, (?Munty frame) which frees up space for planting below.

Years ago, I saw squash being grown along the top of a hedge -planted at ground level, obviously, and encouraged to climb to the top of the hedge - then left to wander along the top. He also had them climbing over arches.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, mcdood, Small chilli

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I like your plant labels, SC. I'm hazarding they are home made, and a much better shape for writing on than the traditional pencil shape. What a good idea. Trying to get the whole name on without half being buried in the pot is a trial, so I shall in future make them the same shape as yours. Thanks for the inspiration Big Grin
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(30-05-2021, 09:11 AM)Veggie Wrote: I tried BNS last year - they just slid down the supports!
Like SC, I've grown them over a sloping grid. supported on the sunny side with posts,  (?Munty frame) which frees up space for planting below.

Years ago, I saw squash being grown along the top of a hedge -planted at ground level, obviously, and encouraged to climb to the top of the hedge - then left to wander along the top. He also had them climbing over arches.

Firstly what's BNS?  Beans not Squash? Bright New Shoes? 
Secondly, I tried tromba vertically on a mish mash of bamboo canes, tromba was happy enough until the frame collapsed. Sad
Thirdly, spookily, I was looking up planting distances for Scarlet's mystery beans and getting nowhere and sidetracked,  saw Munty frames mentioned.  Never heard of them  I was going to start a bean support thread. Might still do so.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • mcdood, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(30-05-2021, 09:30 AM)JJB Wrote:
(30-05-2021, 09:11 AM)Veggie Wrote: I tried BNS last year - they just slid down the supports!
Like SC, I've grown them over a sloping grid. supported on the sunny side with posts,  (?Munty frame) which frees up space for planting below.

Secondly, I tried tromba vertically on a mish mash of bamboo canes, tromba was happy enough until the frame collapsed. Sad
Thirdly, spookily, I was looking up planting distances for Scarlet's mystery beans and getting nowhere and sidetracked,  saw Munty frames mentioned.  Never heard of them  I was going to start a bean support thread. Might still do so.
Butter nut squash?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(30-05-2021, 09:40 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(30-05-2021, 09:30 AM)JJB Wrote:

Butter nut squash?

Of course!  I should've  known.  But shouldn't that be BS, as in Butternut Squash?   There's an awful lot of BS spouted  in the gardening world though, and you wouldn't want to confuse anyone. Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, mcdood, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Bren Offline
A few years ago  I grew a butternut squashes up a trailer that was leaned on a wall,  I got a few of each plant.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 5 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, MartinH, mcdood, Proserpina, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(30-05-2021, 06:44 AM)mcdood Wrote: Each year I seem to forget just how much space it takes when growing squash. I have 8 uchiki kuri plants and 6 butternuts and I'm going to struggling to squeeze them all in. I grow some together with sweetcorn in a bed and that works well, not tried the 3 sisters yet as that sounds a bit messy?. I also grow some in compost bins (full of horse muck) and let them trail over the sides so I know they can cope with trailing but I know some people grow them upwards. I probably have room in one of the CFB beds to give this a shot and while I doubt a bamboo structure is going to be strong enough I may try 1 uchiki this way for a challenge.
Anyone tried growing them upwards?
Hello Dood

Did you try this?
Regards..........Danny Smile

mcdood Offline
Hi Danny, I have tried 2 plants vertically and they have a couple of fruits each so I would say it's successful. My plants left to trail are more vigorous and producing much more fruit but also taking up more land so it feels a bit of a trade off. The plants in the compost bins are doing the best as usual i'd expect because of the extra heat. Certainly been a bit of a poor August but if we get some sun in September I'm hopeful plenty fruit will ripen. You growing any?
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • Veggie