Recommendation of out door tomatoes
Spec Offline
I just posted about hardening off  basket tomatoes, but I would like to grow some outside, so looking for recommendations of varieties, the ones I have had success with were Ferline F1 (sold out) , Mountain Magic F1 far too expensive, as you can see both are F1s but I would prefer if possible, ones that I can take seeds from, so no F1s
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've never had a decent crop of tomatoes from an outdoor plant. Blight always gets them before I do.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood, Spec

Bren Offline
Mine just don't seem to ripen outdoors and I'm not going to make green tomato chutney ever again. It's yuck. Sad
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood, Veggie

mcdood Offline
I've given up growing outdoors. I did have a good crop a few years back when we had a dry summer and gardeners delight probably did the best but most years I get maybe 5 or 6 tomatoes before blight strikes. Maybe a very early bush tomato would be your best bet.
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

mcdood Offline
Smile 
(30-05-2021, 05:17 AM)mcdood Wrote: I've given up growing outdoors. I did have a good crop a few years back when we had a dry summer and gardeners delight probably did the best but most years I get maybe 5 or 6 tomatoes before blight strikes. Maybe a very early bush tomato would be your best bet.

I'd forgotten (Also known as Malbec head, maybe that should be Malbec tete), I had 3 spare grushovka tomato plants  so I planted these alongside squash in compost bins . I've not grown them before but they are an early bush variety apparently. No idea if they will like where they are are and they may get overwhelmed by the squash plants but I thought it was worth an experiment . Seems like I haven't given up outdoor tomato growing yet [Image: smile.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I always try to grow outdoor ones merely because I have spare plants I can't bear to throw away. Not much success really, except one long summer. Last year the first late summer shower and the blight hit. I'll be trying again this year and might even remember to keep a record.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, mcdood, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
That's what I do too plant out all the leftovers - but its always a failure!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, mcdood

toomanytommytoes Offline
If you don't want hybrids, early varieties are a must because they crop before blight comes, which generally means bush tomatoes or cordon cherries. Maskotka did really well outside last year. Latah is pretty dependable. Koralik is supposed to have some blight resistance. This year we're trying Grushovka and EM Champion as outdoor bushes. Bloody Butcher and Stupice are two of the earliest non-cherry cordons.

Crimson Crush F1 and Cocktail Crush F1 are both blight resistant and aren't too badly priced at Premier Seeds Direct - £1.19 for 10 seeds. Lizzano F1 and Losetto F1 are bush types with blight resistance - £1.29 for 10 seeds.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Spec, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Garden organic have 6 large grafted plants for £15 says they are blight resistand and good outside. Not sure what postage would be or if you would get 20% off with Veggies code.
https://www.organiccatalogue.com/product...dip_mh7859

Spec Offline
(30-05-2021, 08:52 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Garden organic have 6 large grafted plants for £15 says they are blight resistand and good outside. Not sure what postage would be or if you would get 20% off with Veggies code.
https://www.organiccatalogue.com/product...dip_mh7859

Mark you really need to know, I don't like spending money, so £15 is way beyond what I would part with Rolleyes Big Grin