Free Plants from Cuttings
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(16-09-2023, 07:34 AM)Vinny Wrote: Rather relevant thread to me just now. Where I walk Kato in two different locations I nearly get my eye taken out by a branch of Cotinus and in a seperate location an eergreen plant of some  description. Sod it sez I, and snapped each of the offending branches off and have them sitting in a glas of water on the windowsill. In with them is  a very small rooted sycamore which I pulled out of a gap in paving. The only reason I kept it was that it appeared to be a variagated version. The variagation may grow out, in which case I will bin it. Smile
The variegation on the sycamore means it’s struggling and trying to keel over (Probably not now you’ve rescued it.) I’ve got loads of the flipping thing in the gravel all round the house. Need to find the enthusiasm to rip them all out.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Just potted up some cuttings of African basil after about a week in a glass. I must have had too much water in as there were roots growing right up the stems. Just taken cuttings of some geraniums for new plants in Spring. That's one thing about gardening, Winter might be on its way but we can look ahead to the start of a new year.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Farendwoman, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(16-09-2023, 08:37 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(16-09-2023, 07:34 AM)Vinny Wrote: Rather relevant thread to me just now. Where I walk Kato in two different locations I nearly get my eye taken out by a branch of Cotinus and in a seperate location an eergreen plant of some  description. Sod it sez I, and snapped each of the offending branches off and have them sitting in a glas of water on the windowsill. In with them is  a very small rooted sycamore which I pulled out of a gap in paving. The only reason I kept it was that it appeared to be a variagated version. The variagation may grow out, in which case I will bin it. Smile
The variegation on the sycamore means it’s struggling and trying to keel over (Probably not now you’ve rescued it.) I’ve got loads of the flipping thing in the gravel all round the house. Need to find the enthusiasm to rip them all out.

Sycamores are like pigeons and squirrels  - they need exterminating.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I need to take cuttings of the penstemons I overwintered last year that are in flower atm. Any advice? Also should I lift the plants and put them in the gh late autumn?

My pal gave me a very small rooted cutting of Russian Sage, which she said she nicked from Weymouth. I need to research how big, hardiness etc.
Greetings from Salisbury

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I used to have a variagated sycamore/maple tree and it was quite pretty? I was forever pruning out the common sycamore branches out of it that had reverted to type though.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(16-09-2023, 08:37 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
Thanks SC. If it starts throwing up green leaves, it will be bin bound! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My Cutting of the day is Pineapple Sage/Salvia elegans. I lost a couple of plants in the frost last winter so need some reserve plants.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Farendwoman Offline
Taken a few cuttings of Euphorbia “diamond frost”.
Plus a tender verbena “Showboat Midnight”.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ll be taking some sedum autumn joy leaf cutting soon.
Never tried before, but will give it a go.
Apparently you pull the leaf off very gently and try to get a tiny bit of the stem as well. Then just put it in compost and wait.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
My plan is to take cuttings of the penstemon that I managed to overwinter last year. The overwintered plants were in the gh but the one that was in the ground outside died off in the cold. I'm debating whether to rely just on cuttings or lift the half dozen plants and give them shelter in gh or to leave them in the ground but mulch with something. I've not much experience with penstemon, any advice?
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie