Daffodils
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I know I skip from one thing to another but this 
year the daffs were fab....I don't really have much of a spring garden. I love tulips but over the years have planted hundreds and they rarely return. Daffs are different.

I have been reading up - there are lots of heritage varieties out there Smile

Do you just grab a bag from the supermarket or order in some bulbs with a little history?

I am looking them all up - new project.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I’ve just grabbed bags of mixed daffs every year this year had a great crop spread out some still in bloom. I love the mini ons especially the triple head yellow ones with the orange centre.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Grab a bag then forget to plant them Sad
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I often buy too many as the weather turns....but I managed to plant my alliums last year. I just tried to stay focussed. The lovely thing about daffs is that I can plant in the grass....and I have a new "shady" "woodland" area I'm trying to create.
Heritage daffs are going to be the thing. I am drawn hugely to the bright jewel colours of tulips but they always disappoint a couple of years down the line. So I'm going to celebrate the daff! I am wondering whether I could plant 600. When you buy in packs of 50 per variety the bulb cost goes down.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-05-2021, 12:26 AM)Can the Man Wrote: I’ve just grabbed bags of mixed daffs every year this year had a great crop spread out some still in bloom. I love the mini ons especially the triple head yellow ones with the orange centre.

I planted the plain yellow tête-à-tête last year under my conker tree. They looked fabulous and made me smile every time I looked out onto the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I love daffs - so bright and cheerful at a time when the garden may look a bit bleak.
The RHS Show Cardiff always has an amazing display of daffs by Scamp's. https://qualitydaffodils.com/product/mis...catalogue/
I'm not into named varieties as I always forget what they are - so I'm cheap and cheerful, usually end of season reductions daffy grower.
My favourites are the "Ugly Daffs" that are naturalised in the garden. When we moved here there were just a few left on the hedgerow, as the horses had trashed them, then, when we bought the land, the daffs gradually starting coming back. They're not pretty in the conventional sense and no respectable breeder would sell them.
My best guess is its the Derwydd daffodil https://botanicgarden.wales/blogs/living...-daffodil/

EDIT - Interesting site https://www.ivydenegardens.co.uk/Bulb%20...homas.html
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Well, I know what I want from you my birthday present VC!! OMG,it's a beauty and one that is special to South Wales - I love that flower head!How can that be ugly? I also love the story behind it. I've been googling older varieties and they often have that ruffled, messy face and not the standard trumpet.

Ive been reading up and often the old varieties naturalise very well. This new area I'm trying to take back has a large ash tree - it will go soon I expect due to ash dieback - I want to fill it so that when/if it goes it will still have interest.
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

Some photos from a couple of years ago - mid March.
When's your birthday ?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
July Big Grin
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
....and I think they are lovely!
  • Can the Man, Veggie