How ruthless are you?
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've often lamented about the number of baby plants I have and the prime reason for the problem is that I can't bear to cull the stragglers.  I work on the principle that even the weedy ones deserve a chance and some investment.  That said, I'm a devil for leaving plants for too long in small pots or forgetting them until such time they're no use at all so some get culled by neglect.
So how ruthless are you with the runts and stragglers?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Moth, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Ruthless? Me!!!!
If every seed deserves a chance, then it follows that every seedling and plant that grows from those seeds also deserves a chance. That's why I have a "random corner" where all the waifs and strays live out their days and I can sleep peacefully at night knowing that I gave them a fighting chance.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(03-05-2021, 09:36 AM)Veggie Wrote: Ruthless? Me!!!!
If every seed deserves a chance, then it follows that every seedling and plant that grows from those seeds also deserves a chance. That's why I have a "random corner" where all the waifs and strays live out their days and I can sleep peacefully at night knowing that I gave them a fighting chance.

I would expect no less from you, Veggie, in fact in my mind I knew what your answer would be Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Moth, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its the answer that you would expect from any sane person, JJB. Don't know why you asked me really. Tongue
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Broadway Offline
Must admit I'm fed up carrying my blowaway in and out of the cold every day so I intend to be a tad ruthless today.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I always try not to over sow in the first place. Obviously you have to sow more than you need to make sure you get what you wanted in the first place. I try to find new homes for spares or like veggie I have an overflow area.
This year however my empathy is lacking somewhat! A few things are on a limited lifespan! I’m not talking about just plants either
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Veggie

Broadway Offline
I should not have got caught up in the early sowings malarkey as I do not have the indoor space or a greenhouse to support the seedlings/plants early season, where's that mistakes thread!
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(03-05-2021, 10:00 AM)Broadway Wrote: Must admit I'm fed up carrying my blowaway in and out of the cold every day so I intend to be a tad ruthless today.
Please explain? How big is this "blowaway"? Mine was the size of a greenhouse!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(03-05-2021, 10:25 AM)Veggie Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 10:00 AM)Broadway Wrote: Must admit I'm fed up carrying my blowaway in and out of the cold every day so I intend to be a tad ruthless today.
Please explain? How big is this "blowaway"? Mine was the size of a greenhouse!!
It's one of those 3 shelved things from wilko. It's not the carrying in and out that's the pain it's just the fact it's too cold for them outdoors atm. I can leave them inside but without much light.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Can you put an extra layer, like bubblewrap or fleece over the "blowaway" instead of carrying it around - or just bring the tender plants inside overnight?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man