Tool storage or shed or tunnel or something?
doublyjonah Offline
Hi all,

We recently and enthusiastically demolished the old shed on our allotment as it was a genuine danger.

We only keep basic tools at the plot like trowels, garden form, hoe, etc. I wanted to get a nice wooden shed as replacement, but by nice I really mean cheap and that doesn't leave great options. 

My husband wants to get a plastic tool storage box like those by Ket@r.

Anyone using something similar and like it? I hate that it's a big hunk of plastic, would still not fit all our tools and wouldn't really facilitate rain collection.

For a similar price I could get a cheap tunnel or greenhouse that would keep rain off the tools and let me collect rainwater. It wouldn't be secure but the tool storage and sheds are only nominally safer, I think. However, we can't get to the plot multiple times a day, so a GH is impractical. I could cover it in net instead but then the tools aren't dry again!

So basically I don't like any of our ideas or options. We don't have the time to build from scratch. Our plot is so messy right now, we definitely need something.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks in advance.
[-] The following 3 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Not the answer you're looking for but I used to keep tools in a dalek. With the lid on its water tight and nobody's likely to rummage around in a compost bin for tools.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, doublyjonah, JJB, Small chilli

doublyjonah Offline
(28-04-2021, 03:13 PM)Veggie Wrote: Not the answer you're looking for but I used to keep tools in a dalek. With the lid on its water tight and nobody's likely to rummage around in a compost bin for tools.
Humorously, ours are currently sticking out the bottom of a dalek! Just to keep them from posing a danger/getting lost in long grass. Not that we would have that on our plot...
[-] The following 3 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I use those big plastic trays in a GH - fill those up with water? Bottles upturned filled up with water, good mulches...it's only in the really hot weeks you need to go every day.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah, JJB, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
Small poly tunnel? Alternatively big tarpaulin(or two), tarp on ground, tools on tarp, wrap round and weigh down with rocks. Will keep em dry and look like you're covering ground for weed suppression.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, doublyjonah, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Dig a grave sized hole but only one foot deep. Wrap tools in a hessian sack and put an old door over it. An old door won't look out of place on an allotment and should be quite secure. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Jimny14, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
Hello all,

We have finally purchased a wooden shed. I am hoping for some advice on a base now.

The shed is 4 x 6. We are on a fairly heavy partial clay. We have patio paving slabs. There is an area at the back of plot in the region where we'd like the shed to go. It is quite compacted and has had artificial turf on it since before we took the plot. Would that be a good place to use the slabs for a base? Would we dig into it to do so?

My husband has also seen shed base kits, either plastic or another material (metal? Can't remember). I assume that is instead of slabs. They seem to have little legs that are pressed into the ground and a base that sits on the surface that would support the shed. Any experience with those?

Basically I'm looking for thoughts or experience please!
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
We have plastic feet for the base of our shed and now the deck as well. Both are at the bottom of a slope on clay so very, very wet in the winter. They work well and don't decay, and were quick to install (according to MrPP). He put down a membrane, then the feet and then built a frame on top of that. You can just see the feet in this photo if you zoom in!
Because you can adjust each foot (a bit like levelling kitchen units!) he decided it was better than using slabs, even though we had a load of free ones Sad .

Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah, JJB, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
Thanks, PP. That's really helpful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • PyreneesPlot