2021 Tallest Sunflower competition
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I grew mine from bird seed last year but they didn't amount to much so this year I have went professional and bought seeds! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Small chilli

Broadway Offline
Ok I'm in, wasn't sure where they'd go but I am nowSmile

Never grown them before, when can they go out please?
Regards..........Danny Smile

doublyjonah Offline
(30-04-2021, 12:54 PM)Broadway Wrote: Ok I'm in, wasn't sure where they'd go but I am nowSmile

They're tender, I think, Danny, so I'm planning to put mine out after last projected frost date. Last year I got a very sad looking sunflower after a quite cold though not freezing night in early May.
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(30-04-2021, 01:40 PM)doublyjonah Wrote:
(30-04-2021, 12:54 PM)Broadway Wrote: Ok I'm in, wasn't sure where they'd go but I am nowSmile

They're tender, I think, Danny, so I'm planning to put mine out after last projected frost date. Last year I got a very sad looking sunflower after a quite cold though not freezing night in early May.
Ok thanks DJSmile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
By coincidence, I've emptied all my old sunflower seeds into 2 jars (one for tall sunflowers, the other for pots) and scattered them around the garden today. The scattering positions were carefully chosen - on the North side of the garden so that when the heads turn and follow the sun, I'll get the benefit and not my neighbours.Smile
Just need a few to germinate now before the mice and birds find the seeds!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Bren Offline
Danny my sunflowers are spending the day outdoors then they go in the GH overnight. I usually plant them out mid to late May.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(30-04-2021, 07:35 PM)Bren Wrote: Danny my sunflowers are spending the day  outdoors then they go in the GH overnight.  I usually plant them out mid to late May.
Thanks BrenSmile
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
Do you think these will need potting on before they go out?

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(01-05-2021, 09:39 AM)Broadway Wrote: Do you think these will need potting on before they go out?

They look like they might like a bit more light Danny, if you have a sunny day they could go out for a bit but I might leave them a bit longer before pricking out the cells with two plants.  I'm no expert on sunflowers so others may have a better idea.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Broadway Offline
(01-05-2021, 10:54 AM)JJB Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 09:39 AM)Broadway Wrote: Do you think these will need potting on before they go out?

They look like they might like a bit more light Danny, if you have a sunny day they could go out for a bit but I might leave them a bit longer before pricking out the cells with two plants.  I'm no expert on sunflowers so others may have a better idea.
Thanks Jen, the picture was where they live o/n, of a day they sit on the windowsillSmile
  • JJB