Mice and onions
Spec Offline
I have planted out my heat treated onion sets and when removing my covering of fleece I see that all the leaf tops have been cut off, which I have put down to mice, rather than snails, so first question, will it effect the growth of the onions and second, how can I stop this happening
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
My guess is they’ll come back ok. Maybe a little slower than if they hadn’t been chomped. As for stopping the little furry critters, no idea! If you ever discovered how, let me know. They’re a flipping nightmare.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec

Admin Offline
The Boss
I can't see it being mice Spec as they are supposed to hate the smell.

My guess would be cut worms
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Spec Offline
(16-04-2021, 07:25 PM)Admin Wrote: I can't see it being mice Spec as they are supposed to hate the smell.

My guess would be cut worms

I doubt if it could be cut worms Boss, the bit of leaf that left are about 2 inches high, I if think cut worms were responsible the complete leaf would be off, I can just picture a small mouse sitting back on its hunkersholding the leaf in its front paws and munching on it, do you think a shotgun would be a bit muchRolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Have you nets over them Spec ?, last year I had problems with crows and jackdaws breaking off the green shoots on my onions, solution put a net on them. Have netted them again this year.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Spec

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm afraid I resort to traps for rats and mice. I prefer a quick death rather than the poison route. Luckily they're not too much of a bother here, although last year they got into the carrot bed and chomped the tops to their heart's delight.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Spec

Spec Offline
    You could be right Can but I still think it mice

If these photos come out right it will show 2 beds separated by a board, I cover both at night with fleece and as you can see the onions in the lower bed are fine
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Mikey Offline
Brambles work on top of my peas, maybe try cutting and laying some in the rows to make it harder to cross at night. I couldn’t kill the mice myself they are only trying to survive, and I’d feed anything that was desperate enough to eat raw onions.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Last year pigeons started to attack by onions so I covered with netting for a few weeks. Rats sometimes get into where I hang onions up and one year I found a few gnawed so mice might if they are hungry.

Something dug up one of my onions planted out this rear but might be a mole as a hill was near by. Fresh digging there again and same onion uprooted when I looked just now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(17-04-2021, 05:01 PM)Spec Wrote: You could be right Can but I still think it mice

If these photos come out right it will show 2 beds separated by a board, I cover both at night with fleece and as you can see the onions in the lower bed are fine
Spec are you finding the bits of green still there or is that gone ? , last year the crows and jackdaws just kept breaking the greenery on me, this year I have them under netting, not putting any fleece on them and they’re doing good. This is what mine are like now     
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • JJB