Plug plants/Jiffy 7s
Spec Offline
I received some plug plants by post today, they are ivy leaf geranium, the plants look ok, I know that you are supposed to plant them in there retaining net, and with the ones I got today the retainer looked like a bit of fleece like material, in the past I had planted them as directed but at the end of the season most of the roots were still retained in the net so I now remove the net before planting, now thinking I should have left a couple to see if what is used nowadays rots away, also wondering what others do
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve had the same happen with plug plant in those net things. Most of the roots still in them at the end of the season when dug up. I’d remove them if I ever got more.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes, same as those cardboard pots - they never decompose.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Spec

Spec Offline
(04-04-2021, 09:35 AM)Scarlet Wrote: Yes, same as those cardboard pots - they never decompose.

Scarlet are you referring to those fibre pots, which are supposed to rot away?
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes I am!
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Spec

Spec Offline
I have found that with those pots the performance differs from year to year, if it's a wet spring, which happens a lot here, the roots will go through the pot, but if reasonably dry the roots can't get through, then when thing return to normal which usually means it's raining, the roots don't go through simply because they have started circling, not sure how the square pots do as the ones I have used were round
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
I start some seeds in the net like bags....jiffy pellets, I always remove these little bags before planting as they are plastic
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 5 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've just found some really old jiffy pellets in the GH. Giving them a soak to see if there's still life in them!
Having Duck,ducked them I see they're doing Coir pellets now and some have paper wrappers.
They're so easy and mess-free, and bags of compost are of such variable quality, that its tempting to try the coir ones.
Has anyone done so, please?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Spec

Broadway Offline
You always answer my questions Veggie so it's refreshing when you reach out for help/advice yourselfSmile Good job we have this site.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I didn't like them the first time round, which is why there are so many unused in the GH!!
Not sure I'd like them any better if they were coir based but it would ease my conscience about using them.Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB