Introducing self
Lady Karina Offline
Moved to this incredible gardening area from California (I am now on the Isle of Mull in Scotland). WHAT A MIRACLE!! Brown/black/wet dirt REALLY EXISTS! I lived in a little town called Ramona (halfway up the mountains of San Diego) and one needed dynamite, several pickaxes, one or 2 chisel digging bars, 4-5 shovels/spades... all because the decomposed and not granite is IMPOSSIBLE to dig in. I have REVELED in my garden in Tobermory since I arrived... and the holidays were over. 
Evidently I am an inclement weather gardener as the 6 weeks of STELLAR, Southern California style weather had be despondent and not wanting to garden. I really thought I would NEVER have to water another garden once I moved here.. but after 3 weeks of zero rain, I had to start watering... which is a challenge as I live in an upstairs flat and there are no outside taps. Yep, buckets and buckets from my bathtub to the garden! All for a good cause though!

I do have to say... I find Scottish weeds VERY annoying. Seems EVERYTHING that ISN'T supposed to grow in a garden does so and with VIGOR and replicates via the most VILE AND INSIDIOUS route of runners. Often running almost a foot underground. Most satisfying though when one can gently tease up a runnier of a foot or more in length with a bunch of budding babies on it! Currently n my garden, and the bane of my existence are (in order of my abject dislike of them): Ground Elder (yes, I know it is edible but I still have to clear my entire back garden and I could feed ALL of Tobermory with what is growing back there!), Couch Grass (I'm Ok with it settling into my lawn as it is indestructible and hard for the dog to destroy), Bind Weed (I actually really LIKE this one... and I do mean ONE or 2 as they remind me of Morning Glories when they bloom. However, when they try to choke my roses, I have a few choice Military style vernacular for them!), and Sorrel, which I just researched and found that it is indeed edible (my neighbor said it isn't) and so I will save a bit for a pot now! It is a very pretty ground cover and I might get around to planting it once I get to the remveal of my front lawn and put in hand made Gunnera leaf stepping stones!

Ok, enough diarrhea of the fingers... I am just so excited... my garden ideas actually kept me awake and plotting for 30 hours straight a couple of weeks ago. Cured that by drawing on photos of what I am planning. 

TTFN!
Thanks for reading, Lady Karina Benish, MSEd, RVT, CW2 (US Army ret.)
[-] The following 7 users Like Lady Karina's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Mamzie, Neffa, Proserpina, Stem20, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Hi Lady Karina and welcome to G&G. I can sense your excitement getting to know your new home! Must be quite a change from San Diego.
Pull up a chair and make yourself at home here. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Lady Karina

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Hi lady Katrina
I thought I recognised the name of our new member Wink  .
Welcome to g&g. It’s fun here. Best bit, I’m not the made one here  Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Lady Karina

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Hello and welcome from the French Pyrenees Smile
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man

Lady Karina Offline
(23-05-2020, 01:04 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Hello and welcome from the French Pyrenees Smile
Oh wow! I'll hop over to your garden and have a look.. bet you have some pretty challenging gardening like I had in California... weather and height...
Thanks for reading, Lady Karina Benish, MSEd, RVT, CW2 (US Army ret.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Lady Karina's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Bren Offline
Hello and welcome to G&G Lady Karina Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Can the Man

Jay Offline
Hello and welcome to G&G Lady Karina and welcome to the beautiful country that is Scotland!! Big change from San Diego!! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay's post:
  • Can the Man

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(23-05-2020, 01:27 PM)Lady Karina Wrote:
(23-05-2020, 01:04 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Hello and welcome from the French Pyrenees Smile
Oh wow! I'll hop over to your garden and have a look.. bet you have some pretty challenging gardening like I had in California... weather and height...

Height is fine at 330m, the thin, poor soil is over boulder clay, so with a temperature range of -15 to 39 it alternates between sticky sgludge and concrete. Mulch and raised beds are the key Smile 

But hey - no salt spray, unlike Tobermory!!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

SarrissUK Offline
Hi and welcome Katrina! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Hi Lady Katrina and welcome from the Emerald Isle
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.