Hararasp - Raspberry tree
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
The latest oddity to be offered by the T&M group is the Hararasp. https://www.suttons.co.uk/SUSGWE249/rubu...5280109%5D

Here's the hype:-

Who says raspberries don’t grow on trees! This miraculous space-saving raspberry tree has been developed by an ingenious breeder from Japan named Toshikhiko Hara. His groundbreaking new raspberry develops thick overwintering stems which are trained to form upright ‘trees’ with a strong, central trunk supporting a crown of fruiting branches.
Instead of rows of sprawling raspberry canes which need space, support and tying in, you can now enjoy this neat ‘Hararasp' raspberry. With its small footprint, it can easily be accommodated in a sunny spot where it will make both an attractive and edible feature. From April to May it is covered in white blossom followed by an abundance of tasty fruit from June to August that is easily reached for harvesting.
The fruit is unusually attractive, as unlike the dull fruit of other raspberries, ‘Hararasp’ bears especially glossy and shiny berries. ‘Hararasp’ is also a disease-resistant Florican-type, with excellent tolerance to heat and drought plus early fruit ripening and a long harvest period. Maximum height: 175cm (69in). Maximum spread:100cm (40in).

Gimmick or reality? Would you buy it???
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I found this discussion online https://growingfruit.org/t/hararasp-or-r...tree/62509
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
The fruit look even less appealing than a regular raspberry. They look more spiky. Definitely not one for me. My gut is telling me it’s a gimmick.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Looks similar to what I believe to be a Japanese wineberry slowly taking over my herbaceous border? No idea where it came from?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Until someone gives an unbiased opinion of the taste I probably wouldn't bother. As yet I'm in the gimmick came and no, I wouldn't be buying it. The fruit drupelets all seem to be touched by the Devil, they all have horns Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
The link in #2 suggests that it may be derived from Rubus crataegifolius.
Some images on the Kew website https://powo.science.kew.org/taxon/urn:l...3-1/images
The fruit does look similar.
I'm still not tempted. Wink
  • Small chilli