A day of devastation
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Aahh, Barbara Cartland ankles like a Queen Anne Chair, bow legs as well. no doubt. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(04-07-2024, 10:12 AM)Veggie Wrote: Aahh, Barbara Cartland ankles like a Queen Anne Chair, bow legs as well. no doubt. Big Grin
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

My dad had lathes both wood and metal, the phrase 'well turned ankle' had me imagining dad turning out ladies ankles to order.  Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(03-07-2024, 10:30 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(03-07-2024, 10:19 PM)JJB Wrote:
(03-07-2024, 09:34 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I don't think weedkiller would work that fast. How much potassium bicarbonate did you use? I usually stick with a 0.5% solution, so 5 grams per litre of water. Did you also use soap?

1 tablespoon to one gallon, ½ teaspoon soap (a bit of hand wash which might be the culprit) and a  ½ teaspoon of veg oil.  Whether its the soap or weedkiller residue I'm still stuffed.
So if 1 tbsp is about 15 g then that's about 3 g per litre, so that doesn't seem like the issue. That amount of soap doesn't seem like it should cause so much damage either, unless it contained some strong essential oils. Vegetable oil wouldn't do it either.

I have great respect for your scientific mind TMTT,  whilst I could have figured that dilution, it may have taken some time.  Does pottasium bicarb deteriorate into something harmful over a year?
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
I don't think so, it's basically baking soda with potassium instead of sodium. It will be stable until it gets wet or mixed with something acidic, but even then it won't produce any harmful by-products. You can use it in baking as a low salt alternative to baking soda.

Apart from being more effective, another reason it's used instead of baking soda in gardening/farming is that you don't want too much sodium going into the soil, whereas the extra potassium will benefit a lot of flowering plants.

I just weighed a tablespoon of my potassium bicarbonate and it was about 17 grams, so to be more precise, in a UK gallon that's a 0.37% solution which is well under what would be harmful to plants, and a lower concentration than I have used with no ill effects.

Armicarb is a fungicide used by organic farmers in Europe, and it's essentially potassium bicarbonate plus detergent and a wetting agent. The detergent is sodium lauryl sulphate, which is found in a lot of liquid hand wash.

I think it's likely that another ingredient in the hand wash is the culprit. My preference is unscented liquid castile soap, since it's pure soap and typically doesn't contain any other ingredients.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Does anyone think I should foliar feed the suffering courgettes or even just give the roots a liquid feed like miracle grow, or would that stress them even more?
Greetings from Salisbury

toomanytommytoes Offline
I would give them a bit of a root feed. They might not take up nutrients properly via the leaves if they're droopy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I covered the plants with fleece to protect them from sun and wind. Ive sprayed (with a clean hand mister and tap water) as many leaves as possible upper and lower side to perhaps help avoid transpiration. I will root feed tomorrow. Looking at them this afternoon I think its hormone weedkiller contamination as although the leaves look wilted they're actually deforming. The leaves are quite sturdy rather than flacid.

Here's some photos of my devastation

Greetings from Salisbury
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have no words. They were doing so well  Sad . Even like that they’re still looking better than some I’ve grown in the past. 
I might be tempted to remove all the courgettes from the plants so they can use the energy they have on recovery. Rather than trying to reproduce.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
My thoughts too. Then I can poison P too Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Update, they're not dead yet and don't look much worse. The plan today, if I don't get rained off is to pick all the fruit and give them all a feed.
It's very damp so perhaps they'll succumb to some fungus.  Do you think I ought to spray them? Big Grin Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie, Vinny