Soil Blockers
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
XMy birthday soon Big Grin just saying!

Anyway, I will not be getting any cycling kit this year. In fact I've requested to sell the tandem so I can use the money for a pond, but that another story.

Has anyone used soil blockers? I like to sow in modules- Poppy's often get sown with tweezers. Pricking out is a pain and I love to see rows of plants neatly growing. I usually pick up modules from the recycling bins at the garden centres etc....though due to covid I stoped going. I now buy considered purchases, rather than impulse buys and have found my garden is looking much better for it....but back to pots. 
I run out all the time Sad I gift plants and don't get my pots back. Having odd shapes and sizes lead to a jiggled mess wastes valuable greenhouse space. I start off lots of seeds.
Are these a waste of money??spec would you buy these Big Grin
https://www.soilblockers.co.uk/collectio...-gift-sets

It's either those or I'm considering a proper blowtorch for silver work....but can't get my head around what I would need. Not sure the OH awould be happy with a gas bottle in the house either??
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, mcdood

Bren Offline
Scarlet I’d go with the blowtorch and use newspaper pots.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Jimny14 Offline
Scarlet when you say a blow torch for silver work what exactly do you want to do with your torch? Also what do you currently use?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Think Spec asked about soil blockers once?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-07-2021, 04:44 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: Scarlet when you say a blow torch for silver work what exactly do you want to do with your torch? Also what do you currently use?
 I currently use a Dremel - butane Hand torch.

I've looked at a few options - smiths or the siever - either of these two? But I think the smith torch needs a few other things that go with it which pushes it out of my price range so probably the sievert. The sievert is propane. I want to be able to control the flame a bit better - sometimes I need a much smaller flame than the Dremel can manage and other times I need a bit more heat and end up having to use one of those big plumbers torches? Not great just to solder something a bit bigger? Brooch size.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I make jewellery .....so small things like this: 

Or larger stuff - brooch frames etc that hold my enamel pieces. On larger pieces the Dremel has to be fully on and it can take some heating of the piece before the silver solder flows - it's a bit clumsy?

[-] The following 7 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, mcdood, Proserpina, Veggie

Spec Offline
I have a soil blocker, and when I used it, it was very good, but as I have a good number of plastic cell trays of various sizes I am using those till they disintegrate, rather than just tossing them, so at the moment I consider what I have as an investmentBig Grin
On reading you post I was thinking rather than a blow torch, a soil blocker would be a safer thing for your husband, but then the one I have is made of metal and if he got hit with that it would leave quite a bruise Big Grin
[-] The following 5 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(14-07-2021, 10:23 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I make jewellery .....so small things like this: 

Or larger stuff - brooch frames etc that hold my enamel pieces. On larger pieces the Dremel has to be fully on and it can take some heating of the piece before the silver solder flows - it's a bit clumsy?
Very impressive Miss Scarlet
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Scarlet, Spec

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(22-07-2021, 12:28 AM)Can the Man Wrote:
(14-07-2021, 10:23 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I make jewellery .....so small things like this: 

Very impressive Miss Scarlet
Thank you very much Can!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-07-2021, 05:08 PM)Spec Wrote: I have a soil blocker, and when I used it, it was very good, but as I have a good number of plastic cell trays of various sizes I am using those till they disintegrate, rather than just tossing them, so at the moment I consider what I have as an investmentBig Grin
On reading you post I was thinking rather than a blow torch, a soil blocker would be a safer thing for your husband, but then the one I have is made of metal and if he got hit with that it would leave quite a bruise Big Grin
I have a hefty left hook - I grew up with two brothers Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec, Veggie