Comfrey Advice
toomanytommytoes Offline
I mostly leave it for the bees nowadays, when it flops over it gets used as a mulch or goes into the compost bin. Good luck killing it.  Big Grin
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(16-07-2021, 06:05 PM)mcdood Wrote: Put it in water for a great feed, use it as a mulch, let it flower for the bees. great plants on the plot.
Thanks Dood,

Was thinking of splitting some and growing it in all the spare spaces, yes?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Broadway Offline
(16-07-2021, 06:08 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I mostly leave it for the bees nowadays, when it flops over it gets used as a mulch or goes into the compost bin. Good luck killing it.  Big Grin
Cheers TMTT

Obviously i didn't manage to kill the roots you sent meSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(16-07-2021, 06:23 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(16-07-2021, 06:05 PM)mcdood Wrote: Put it in water for a great feed, use it as a mulch, let it flower for the bees. great plants on the plot.
Thanks Dood,

No!

Even though it is infertile it is quite prolific and as you know easily grown from root cuttings. If I was you I would try and grow all you need in one area as it will quickly spread. That way you can leave the stuff at the back for the bees if you so wish and harvest the stuff at the front on a regular basis. If dotted about it will cast shade and deplete your soil of nutrients in areas you want to grow veg.

Its up to you though, just trying to point out the advantages and disadvantages.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, mcdood, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have 2 sorts of comfrey - the well-mannered one and the white-flowered one that I thought was very pretty initially and the bees loved it. Now, I hate it!! The seed pods are a pain, literally and they stick to the dogs' fur and feet and to my clothes, I try to chop it down before the flowers die.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

mcdood Offline
(16-07-2021, 06:23 PM)Broadway Wrote:
Thanks Dood,

Vinnys advice is good I have about 6 plants in the raspberry bed. They can fight each other without bothering the more delicate specimens
[-] The following 5 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
Mine are next to the raspberry bed, also next to a young apple tree to act as a barrier against Japanese anemone, and then finally next to one of the compost bins where I really regret planting it.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Spec Offline
Fortunately I can collect comfrey from a field that is just waste ground
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

Bren Offline
Mines between a Silver birch tree and the blackberries I've never let it go to seeds in-case it spreads.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(17-07-2021, 09:05 AM)Bren Wrote: Mines between  a Silver birch tree and the blackberries I've never let it go to seeds in-case it spreads.
I got stung off a bee a couple of years ago whilst cutting it down while it was flowering.

Serves me right! Rolleyes

Since then I always take two to three cuts BEFORE flowering and possibly leave the last cut of the season until AFTER flowering. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Veggie