Sloping gardens
Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(27-05-2021, 10:38 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(25-05-2021, 10:10 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I changed my gas hob for induction very recently and although I have replaced one iron pan because of the weight, I still use my cast iron griddle hot enough to make naan bread. The glass has discoloured slightly, but my main gripe is that the touch controls don't work unless scrupulously clean and dry. 
But in general I'm glad we made the change ... although I have kept a two ring wok burner hob as well  Blush

Umm, so today I found that my cast iron ridged griill pan had a small, hard nodule on the base and consequently the hob is  scratched. MrPP has ground out the flaw to prevent it happening again. 
Reading up, it would appear that you can actually put a bit of paper - cooking parchment, even kitchen roll - between the hob and the pan which I'll try tonight. If you hear of a big house fire down my way ...
You can buy special washable (in the sink) induction hob protectors, which is what convinced me in the end. Lakeland do one, but I'm sure there must be French brands as well.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a hardly used induction hob - bought to fill a kitchen-less gap. Most of my pans didn't work on it anyway!
Its best use is when you need a steady, low temperature so it gets dragged out for juice extraction.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Things all seem to be progressing, so everything is looking very promising for now. I think I will actually be able to relax a bit if the mortgage offer would just come through. Obviously sticking a bank holiday weekend in a few days after the application went in won't be helping anything! There is absolutely no real reason I shouldn't get a mortgage, but I've heard too many horror stories about people having unexpected black marks on their credit reports to feel blase about it.

I am trying to distract myself from fretting about it by making some plans for my future garden. If it's an October move-in date, I'll be a bit late for a lot of planting. I can get some shrubs in (my Mum has been growing on blackcurrant and redcurrant cuttings for me for more than a year now, and I already have gooseberries and rhubarb ready to go in), sow some broad beans, and think about buying a bare root fruit tree (or maybe two, on very dwarfing rootstock). It'll also be a good time of year for a general tidy, sorting out the shed (looks like the door doesn't fit very well and may need rehanging, and I wouldn't be surprised if the roof needs refelting), cleaning the greenhouse, getting a sense of the soil quality/type and drainage, etc. I also want a bit of a wildlife pond - nothing big as it's not a very big garden, but enough to attract some frogs and other wildlife - and late October seems like a great time to dig a pond.

Can anyone make any other October/November gardening suggestions? I think I want a cottagey or meadowy flower garden at the front (with shade-loving foliage nearest to the house), so I suppose it's a good time for getting bulbs in? I suppose I could try and sow some spring cabbages before I move so that they are ready to be planted out when I do move. Any other seeds I could be thinking about getting started because they need planting out in October/November? And of course, having a greenhouse changes the game a lot for me! (The vendor did say it was staying, because what else would she do with it moving into a retirement apartment!)
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Still keeping my fingers crossed for you.Smile
You'll probably find spring bulbs are already in the garden - just have to wait to find out where!
Its a good time of year to plant bare root fruit trees and bushes; also onions and garlic, peas. Winter salads - lettuce, oriental veg -especially with a greenhouse for protection.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Proserpina

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sweet peas can be a November sowing I think.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Proserpina

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
My survey happened today. I had a call from the surveyor this evening and there were no major problems identified Smile Definitely some work that needs doing but nothing alarming. It's such a weight off my mind. I'll get the full report and his formal valuation in a day or two, but it didn't sound like he thought I was paying over the odds.
[-] The following 8 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, doublyjonah, JJB, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Bren Offline
Its sounding promising hope it all works out for you.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Proserpina, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Everything having gone smoothly for a while, I let myself start to doodle some potential gardening plans. However, now everything seems to be snarled up by some kind of issue with the leasehold... The vendor owns the freehold but it seems there is no official evidence that she also owns the leasehold (which wasn't cancelled when the freehold was purchased). This has only come up because I chased my solicitor on why the draft contracts hadn't been received yet. She didn't appear to have noticed (which I guess is understandable given the way the market is right now). I then asked her to clarify what this meant for my purchase and she sent me an unpunctuated gobbledygook response. It wasn't even legalese, just very badly written. Nice to see what I'm paying her all this money for... As a fellow professional, I would never send a response to a patient or relative that read so poorly, and they aren't even paying for my services (not directly anyway)! Anyway, I'm now flummoxed as to whether this is some kind of purchase ending disaster or just a very minor issue that will be easily sorted out. So, should I be emotionally distancing myself from the property and starting to look for somewhere else, or carrying on trying to work out if I can squeeze in an asparagus bed?

I'm hoping the land registry can clarify things for me (and they are already helping), because there certainly doesn't seem to be any blooming point in asking my solicitor.

mcdood Offline
Hopefully it's just a case of the leasehold cancellation being missed off the ticklist during the freehold purchase and it can be rectified by land registry. Fingers crossed for you.
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Proserpina, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
The joys of solicitors!! Sorry to hear you’re dealing their incompetents. The bit that really hurts is you’ve got to pay the bu@@ers for it! I feel your pain.
I’ve everything crossed for a happy outcome for you  Smile . You carry on, plan your asparagus bed and give your solicitors absolute he11.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Proserpina, Veggie