Watering
Admin Offline
The Boss
My plots are south facing and on a slight incline, lots of watering on the top end and less at the bottom.

Onions and leeks just once a week, brassicas daily for the first month then weekly, beets, carrots and parsnips 2/3 times weekly. Beans, courgettes and squashes daily

Never bother to water spuds
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Stem20

Mikey Offline
I’m on metered water, and used to believe in minimal watering but, I can’t do that in the back garden. The greenhouses need soaking with water daily or they’d all die in his heat, I water all young plants anything starting to fruit, fast growing. Well just about everything edible to be fair. My onions would go to seed if I wasn’t watering them at the moment. My water butts are used but so is my tap.

The most important thing for me is I don’t water during the day, I water as the sun goes down and will still be watering generally as it gets dark.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
Mulch is really helpful in times like these. Luckily I mulched a lot of beds and pots earlier in the year when grass clippings were plentiful. Now the lawn isn't growing very much we're using wool (the stuff they insulate food deliveries with), comfrey and old coir mats which were bottom of hanging baskets. It's amazing how much of a difference even an inch of mulch can make, the soil under the coir mat is still damp and it was last watered over a week ago.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Broadway Offline
Sorry almost certainly asked before but how often do people water their plots / veg?

I think Veggie mentioned only watering her greenhouses?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

mcdood Offline
I water beans, peas, cauli, onions and squash maybe once a week if dry spell. A bit more often atm as recently planted and very hot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(02-06-2021, 12:58 PM)mcdood Wrote: I water beans, peas, cauli, onions and squash maybe once a week if dry spell. A bit more often atm as recently planted and very hot.
Thanks doodSmile

So there is veg you don't water?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

mcdood Offline
I generally dont water carrots or parsnips unless very dry when they are seedlings. Rarely water brassicas other than cauliflower. I might be trialling what survives without water this year though as we have issues with allotment water supply atm and though I have a fair bit stored in butts if the dry spell continues I'll be dry in a week or two.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(02-06-2021, 01:27 PM)mcdood Wrote: I generally dont water carrots or parsnips unless very dry when they are seedlings. Rarely water brassicas other than cauliflower. I might be trialling what survives without water this year though as we have issues with allotment water supply atm and though I have a fair bit stored in butts if the dry spell continues I'll be dry in a week or two.
OK thank you, yes I'll probably be taking water to the plot in a week or two!
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood

toomanytommytoes Offline
Mostly I only water well when sowing/planting. The greenhouse and outdoor pots are the things I have to water regularly during summer. Once everything is mulched with grass clippings the need to water is drastically reduced. I will occasionally stick a finger under the mulch to gauge how moist the soil is.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, mcdood, Scarlet

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-06-2021, 12:37 PM)Broadway Wrote: Sorry almost certainly asked before but how often do people water their plots / veg?

I think Veggie mentioned only watering her greenhouses?
I've merged 2 threads about "Watering" n case you're confused. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Small chilli