The garden from scratch
toomanytommytoes Offline
Yeah, Heleniums are great, easy to divide or propagate from cuttings, flower for ages and bees love them. We have Kupferzwerg, Short 'n' Sassy and an unknown yellow variety. Moerheim Beauty, Sahin's Early Flowerer and Rubinzwerg are also highly recommended by others. Mardi Gras is another shorter variety.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Do you have wallflowers on your list? They're one of my "must grows". Flowering now and mine are grown from scattered and self seeded seeds and broken off bits turned into cuttings.Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sahins early in my garden!

[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
They look like dancers who've lost their heads! I must have some seeds somewhere. Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
They look like Ferraro rocher wearing a rar rar skirt  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Can anyone think of an edible perennial climber? That’s not a blackberry.
It doesn’t have to be fruit. Just something edible I can grow on the rabbit proof fencing around the veg garden. Also don’t mind the bunnies munching on it from the out side. If they’re brave enough to be in the vicinity of breeze then they probably deserve a little snack .
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
grapevine

I had a grapevine in just such a position. It fruited well just left to ramble along the top. Blackbirds and mice used to share it. I moved it this year as it was overgrown with nettles.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Kiwi!!! My Thug was a Jenny.
One day I'll try growing a Kiwiberry which may not be such a bully.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yesterday was a little unpleasant in the weather department. So I did some very impressive drawings ( they would be if I was 4 ! Rolleyes ). Layout of my veggie garden & cottage garden sections.

Possible locations

If not those locations, I’m still thinking same layout just a different orientation. 

Anything blatantly wrong/missing with them?
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just checking! The Cottage garden is in front of the house, on the right, with a hedge on the road side?
My initial thoughts:-
Think about what you'll see as you/visitors walk through the arch into a "room". Do you want to see what is growing on the end "wall" or on all the side "walls" at once, with the middle beds like a carpet or, do you want mystery, where you have to walk around the room to see what's growing in the corners?
You'll know what I would prefer and to create that you need to grow something tall or have a structure that blocks the view from one end to the other, so you have to walk around to see what there is. Maybe something decorative at the far end? or a seat for another view of the garden?

I like what you've done with multiple routes around the garden so that you never have to walk the same way out and back - a decision to make at every junction - this way or that one.

Have a group of evergreen plants somewhere to create winter interest. As I've found, when they're dotted about the garden in isolation, they don't make a statement and the winter garden can look a bit bleak.

.............and why isn't there a kale in every bed.Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli