2024 - What I harvested today
Garrett Offline
Strawberries and Sungold tomatoes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Garrett's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
Umpteen baby courgettes, broccoli & MT (I'm quite impressed with Carouby de Moussane which is new to me this year). Tomorrow I think I'll be picking my first tomato.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Bored beans (which are particularily good this year) and elephant garlic scapes. I intend digging up the elephant garlic corms tomorrow, weather permitting?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Garrett Offline

Sungold tomatoes grown outside. I'm thinking of having them in a toasted panini with mozzarella, pesto and a drizzle of balsamic glaze for lunch.
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
(Yesterday, 09:12 AM)Garrett Wrote: Sungold tomatoes grown outside. I'm thinking of having them in a toasted panini with mozzarella, pesto and a drizzle of balsamic glaze for lunch.

Garrett, I know you over winter your sungold from cuttings. Do you keep them in a conservatory?  How do you cope with them growing so tall. I tried it once with an indeterminate and the things were a spindly 1.5m and very difficult to look after.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie

Garrett Offline
I keep them on a south facing windowsill. They're kept on the dry side and I take them off the windowsill overnight if it's particularly cold.

The trick is not to keep the overwintered plants. What I do is chop them back in early spring, with a bit of feed to encourage side shoots to grow.

The side shoots are taken off when they're about 10cm or so and put in compost (or just water) to root. The overwintered plants are then trashed.

I've done this for the past three years after watching Charles Dowding mention in a video that he kept a discontinued variety he liked going by cuttings. Each plant easily gives four good cuttings to pot up in spring.

If you have seed, I wouldn't bother, but it is handy if you run out.
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Lots of mangetout, from two different sowings. Probably time to sow another batch!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

JJB Online
Moonraker
(Yesterday, 07:59 PM)Veggie Wrote: Lots of mangetout, from two different sowings. Probably time to sow another batch!
That's a thought,  thanks for the reminder
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie

zooe81 Offline
(Yesterday, 09:12 AM)Garrett Wrote: Sungold tomatoes grown outside. I'm thinking of having them in a toasted panini with mozzarella, pesto and a drizzle of balsamic glaze for lunch.
Mmm, that sounds like the perfect summer lunch! Sungold tomatoes are so sweet and delicious, and they pair perfectly with mozzarella and pesto. The balsamic glaze will add just the right amount of tanginess. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! Do you grow your Sungold tomatoes in a container or directly in the ground?
[-] The following 1 user Likes zooe81's post:
  • JJB