New RSFLF Challenge. :D
zooe81 Offline
Banned
I'm with you on that! Having a few trusted favorites can be so liberating. I've found that when I have too many varieties, it can be overwhelming and I end up not enjoying the process as much. Rambling Red Stripe and Gardener's Delight are great choices, by the way! Bijou peas are delicious too. There's something to be said for mastering a few reliable varieties rather than trying to grow a little bit of everything. Simplifying the garden can be a great way to reduce stress and increase joy
[-] The following 2 users Like zooe81's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
With perfect timing the latest RSFLF plan has started on July 1st, which is a Monday. I couldn't have planned it better if I'd tried.
Today is Roots & Shoots Day so I've sown carrots direct, planted some beetroot seedlings that were in modules and started more seeds in modules.
Also sowed leek seeds even though its the wrong time of year, Pah, what do I care?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Since I've changed from a 4 week to a 3 week cycle, I'm going to move to a 3 week Strip system, not 4. The 3 strips will be the North side of the garden, the middle and the South side.
I'm also going to "split" the veg plot end of the garden (the East End) into 7 sections, one to be attacked each day of the week. I haven't quite worked out what is what yet, but it'll come. Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've worked out where the 7 beds/Veg Plots are. Today I did some clearing of Veg Plot4 - which is mostly fruit - a peach tree, 2 plums, 2 pears (none of which have fruit this year. Sad plus rhubarb, a blackcurrant bush and the Taunton Deane perennial kale.
  • JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Week 1 complete. Big Grin I'm really pleased with myself. I did everything I set out to do and didn't allow myself to be sidetracked until I'd done it.
I'm thinking of rewarding myself, each time I complete a week - I'll pay myself a £1 that goes into the Seed Kitty. Big Grin
Week 2 starts tomorrow and its Fruits week. I shall be sowing courgettes, mangetout, CFB and DFB. I'll start them all in the GH for planting out later.
I'll be concentrating on the middle of the garden this week, trying to get at least some of it under control. Its a jungle out there!
  • JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Wednesday is going to become Windowsill Wednesday - the day when I check over/plant up/water the cuttings and feed the houseplants that seem to mount up on the windowsill - especially in the kitchen. At the moment, there's basil, mint, lemon grass, lavender, avocado pit and a sort of Mother of millions plant, all ready to plant..
Wednesday is still Veg Plot 3 Day and weeding the appropriate strip (the middle one this week).
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Here it was Tipping Down Tuesday, didn't go out at all.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I'm adding an extra challenge as, so far, its not hard enough. Wink
I need to harvest something from the VegPlot of the Day. This is going to be harder than it sounds, Today, for example, it was just a few raspberries - but, its a start!
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
You need a spreadsheet to keep track of all your various challenges. Smile What happens if you have a day out or it rains all day?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Spreadsheet!! No way. Give me the back of an envelope any day. Big Grin
If I have a day out or it rains all day, I catch up at the weekend. Of course, if it rains all weekend, I'll just have to get wet. Wink
  • JJB