A Food Dehydrator
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(29-06-2024, 10:27 AM)JJB Wrote:
(28-06-2024, 06:35 PM)Vinny Wrote: I've still been experimenting with beef  jerky in the food dehydrator and think I have finally cracked it. I marinade the meat first over night and maake sure I add vinegar and honey to the marinade which I think helps preserve the meat longer once dehydrated.
I prefer my jerky with a little bit of 'give' and chewiness to it but have found because it is not totally dry 'snap & rattle' it doesn't stay edible as long?
To counteract this I put a handful in a bowl on the kitchen bench which I can use as a snack when I feel like it. It's perfectly ok for amonth or so. The rest I bag up into freezer bags and bung it in the freezer to be used once the other stuff is eaten.

I still have a bit more experimentation to do with it though! I am wondering whether I add  it to some soup whether it wil reconstitute itself once boiled, or if I soak it in beef stock overnight will that reconstitute it?

Meanwhile I am enjoying eatng it as a snack and sometmes pop some in my mouth whilst walking Kato and use it like a flavoured chewing gum! Big Grin

Does Kato get any?
He's had some but I buy him dried mini chicken breasts which are chewy and he prefers. Of course he is a true carnvore so tends to eat the 'stripped' chicken thighs which I cook in the air fryer first,before eating his biscuits! Even he realises,wheat and seed oils are bad for him! He loves butter as well,nearly as much as I do! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • JJB