The build
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
#1,381
Nothing too demanding then!! Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,382
(05-08-2024, 10:48 PM)Veggie Wrote: Nothing too demanding then!! Wink

Only a couple of hours work, don't know what the fuss is about  Wink (did I say my time management is rubbish?)
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,383
Bob finished work a little early today due to bad weather. So we spent an hour working out the configuration and location of our water filter system.     
 We’ve gone with a bigger system than we were planning because someone was selling one the island. The block was selling it because even though he’d been told it was ok. It didn’t comply with his size build or something ( I don’t exactly know the specs needed, because I start to glaze over at such detail Wink  ) . So we got it for a bargain price.  It has the much bigger filters. Is bigger better.? Do they last longer? Know idea. We do know that they are more expensive, obviously. And for that reason we’ve gone with 3 instead of the standard 2  Rolleyes . It does make sense really because we’re having a course washable filter . So hopefully that will help the others last longer.  

This will live in a cupboard outside under the kitchen window.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
#1,384
Looks impressive! Enlighten me , please. Does all your water (drinking, household) come off the mountain? Do you have to filter all the water, including toilet flushing or is that a separate tank?
In my little cottage down west the toilets used rainwater for flushing. A float valve in the tank meant it could be topped up from the mains if there was a dry spell. On Flat Holm island, they use rainwater for almost everything but it is treated with UV light to make it potable.
I'm just curious (nosey).!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,385
Yes Veggie, all our water comes off the hill. All water going into the house has to be filtered and have UV treatment. Luckily because it’s our house we don’t have to have an annual water test (£200 a time ! ) like rented & holiday homes. I like the idea of rain water to fill the cistern. I’m sure the powers that be would have an absolute meltdown if we suggest that. Not that it would be a benefit as our water is free anyway. But I’d like to watch the powers that be have a meltdown
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
#1,386
Thanks - I understand now. As you say, no point in using rainwater, apart from it wouldn't need to go through the filters/UV, but you'd have the extra cost of a cistern & plumbing which might be considerable.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,387
That's something new to me, how ingenious. You asked the questions I was thinking about, Veggie. P is envious, he likes water management but has to resign himself to rainwater harvesting and pumping. We have to pay for water and are on a meter, every drop of rainwater is free and he likes freebies.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
#1,388
So no additives like chlorine etc? Sounds good to me. Cool 

I have lived in two houses with spring fed water, one was what my Gran called 'Adams ale' sparkling and cold even in summer (not sure what filters used) the other house had horrible water, used bottled water to drink as it was distasteful.
I was drinking unfiltered water off the mountain on the Isle of Rum last week and still lived to tell the tale! Big Grin

Tangential tale, I went to buy a house by sealed tender but Lord Lampdon said he would stop the spring water supply which ran over his land if he didn't get the house. After a lengthy legal ramble it was agreed he couldnt stop the water and the new owner would need to pay 50 pper annum for it's use.! As it happened he bid a ridiculous ammount in his tender and got the house for a shooting lodge anyway! Angry
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,389
(14-08-2024, 04:17 PM)Vinny Wrote: So no additives like chlorine etc? Sounds good to me. Cool 

I have lived in two houses with spring fed water, one was what my Gran called 'Adams ale' sparkling and cold even in summer (not sure what filters used) the other house had horrible water, used bottled water to drink as it was distasteful.
I was drinking unfiltered water off the mountain on the Isle of Rum last week and still lived to tell the tale! Big Grin

Tangential tale, I went to buy a house by sealed tender but Lord Lampdon said he would stop the spring water supply which ran over his land if he didn't get the house. After a lengthy legal ramble it was agreed he couldnt stop the water and the new owner would need to pay 50 pper annum for it's use.! As it happened he bid a ridiculous ammount in his tender and got the house for a shooting lodge anyway! Angry
Think it’s only been in the last 15/20 years that water has needed any sort of filler. People have been drinking it for years and are still here. 

Unfortunately there are lot of arrogant, self righteous people like lord lampoon around.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie