Call for a ban on peat in garden compost
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
From the garden organic web site:
"Garden Organic has signed a letter to the government calling for a complete ban on peat in garden compost in the next five years. We joined Monty Don, as well as organisations such as The National Trust, Friends of the Earth and The RHS, in writing to George Eustace after new figures show the government has missed its target on banning peat for gardeners by 2020."

I see this could be a problem for people who garden on a budget as the quality of cheap peat free compost is quite variable.

I personally have stopped using compost with peat in it, probably the last 5 years. The 2 best peat-free composts I've found are Melcourts range of Sylvagrow and Dalefoots range of products. Neither is cheap.
I've found the quality of home made compost just from letting weeds rot for 12 months can be really good - except for the amount of weed seeds mine has. If I was  lot more careful this would probably be best as it comes without any plastic packaging as well.

I did notice a couple of comments recently about compost with peat in another thread which tempted me to post this.

I doubt it will be very high on Mr Eustace's list of things to do but should we gardeners be making it that firms stop using peat as nobody buys it any more?
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes, Veggie, Vinny

Messages In This Thread
Call for a ban on peat in garden compost - by Mark_Riga - 03-01-2021, 10:24 PM
Farendwoman - by Farendwoman - 10-01-2021, 11:14 AM