Short days and cold nignts
Admin Offline
The Boss
Just occured to me that the days will soon be short and the nights colder!

Do you have a set plan you follow each year?

I have given up planting in the autumn with the exception of garlic, which incidentally, is planted on raised ridges to keep its feet a bit drier. I give the soil a quick turn over and remove the bigger stones which seem to crop well each year!

Decide whats going where next year and feed the beds accordingly, most beds will get a manure dressing with the exception of next years beetroot beds, these get a generous application of BFB in the spring.

Some of the beds will be covered with clear polythene, this encourages the weed seeds to germinate, which get hoed off when the frosts arrive, i find it makes the spring dig easier. Towards the end of the year the brassica cages will get a good dressing of manure and then get covered with weed membrane. When uncovered for planting in the spring, the worms have done their job and the soil is nice and firm, ready for planting out.

I also like the shorter days for carrying out maintenance tasks.  I also use the winter months to stock up on compost, gives me plenty of time to riddle it ready for sowing. 

Greenhouses get a good clean including giving the glass a thorough clean. All my tools get a good clean and wooden handles oiled.
[-] The following 5 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Small chilli, Veggie

Messages In This Thread
Short days and cold nignts - by Admin - 09-09-2020, 05:42 PM
RE: Short days and cold nignts - by JJB - 09-09-2020, 06:46 PM
RE: Short days and cold nignts - by Veggie - 09-09-2020, 07:29 PM
RE: Short days and cold nignts - by Mark_Riga - 09-09-2020, 08:03 PM
RE: Short days and cold nignts - by Small chilli - 09-09-2020, 08:53 PM
RE: Short days and cold nignts - by Scarlet - 10-09-2020, 07:07 AM
RE: Short days and cold nignts - by Bren - 10-09-2020, 08:32 AM
RE: Short days and cold nignts - by SarrissUK - 10-09-2020, 09:29 PM
RE: Short days and cold nignts - by Baldy - 16-09-2020, 08:20 PM