The Lean Micro Farm
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've just been reading about Ben Hartman and his Lean Micro Farm.  
https://www.claybottomfarm.com/

In Summary:-
We cut our growing area from one acre to 1/3 acre, got rid of almost all of our tools (we use only 7 field tools), and started to work almost half as many hours. We now sell all of our food within 1.5 miles of the farm. In spite of "downsizing," the value of our products, our farm, and our profits steadily increased, and we found a work/life balance.

I've paraphrased the formula: 

1. Delete. Most farms have way too many parts, tools, supplies, and unnecessary junk lying around, clouding the view and slowing down value-adding work. Get rid of anything not absolutely necessary to add value. Be ruthless.
2. Start with the customer, work backwards from there. Be totally precise. What exactly do they want? When? How much? 
3. Cut out the waste. Simplify everything. On our farm, we realized that most "requirements" are unnecessary. We don't take soil tests or amend soils with trucked-in fertilizer: we use local leaves, composted, that's it. We store almost no food in coolers, instead we deliver it when the food is picked. We don't till or use plows: we let roots and microbes do that work. 
4. Get better. Every season the goal isn't to get bigger or do more. It's to do a better job: to cut out more waste and better align what we do with what our local community needs us to be doing--growing great food that gets eaten.

Applying this to my own "Micro Farm at the bottom of the garden".

1. I have too much junk lying around, tools I don't use, plants that need maintenance but offer little value. I should get rid of them.
2. I am the customer therefore I should decide what I want to eat and not waste time growing crops that I'm not keen on, even if they are easy to grow. 
3. I don't buy-in fertiliser and am trying to produce enough compost for my needs. I should aim to shorten the Grow, pick and eat cycle - eating freshly picked crops and only storing surplus that would otherwise be waste or used to make compost (which isn't really waste).
4. Learn lessons from previous years. Rethink crops that failed - why? Would a different variety be better, timing, location?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Roitelet, Small chilli, Vinny

Messages In This Thread
The Lean Micro Farm - by Veggie - 09-02-2024, 03:50 PM
RE: The Lean Micro Farm - by JJB - 10-02-2024, 10:35 AM
RE: The Lean Micro Farm - by Mark_Riga - 10-02-2024, 12:26 PM
RE: The Lean Micro Farm - by Veggie - 10-02-2024, 01:43 PM