Removing best before dates from fruit & veg
Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
From what I've seen, selling food without best before dates is just an excuse for supermarkets to sell past-its-best food at full price, when it would previously have been reduced. I agree with trying to reduce food waste, but this strategy by the supermarkets is greenwashing designed to increase their profits, nothing more. It's like when they started selling wonky vegetables. Yes, I'm very happy to buy them, but I in no way believe that they are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts! It's purely motivated by seeing an opportunity to make money out of something they would previously have had no use for.

If I know I'm going to eat the food I buy within a day then I'm happy to buy it at the end of its shelf life. Or if I have a plan and the time to process/preserve it in some way, that's fine as well. But that needs to be my choice, or I end up buying fruit that I think will last me for the week ahead only to find it is mouldy the day after I buy it. At least I can feed it to my worms, but not everyone has the option to use food waste in that way (I wouldn't put most food waste in a small suburban garden compost bin due to the risk of attracting rats or foxes) so it just ends up in the bin.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  â€¢ Veggie, Vinny

Messages In This Thread
RE: Removing best before dates from fruit & veg - by Proserpina - 06-11-2022, 11:16 AM