Removing best before dates from fruit & veg
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You may remember the suggestion that removing Best before dates from fresh produce would reduce food waste. Today I was given some bagged fruit and veg - some of which say in big writing " No date, helps reduce waste". To my inexpert eye, there seems to be nothing wrong with these things, so why are they giving them away? Shouldn't they be keeping them on the shelf until they're unsaleable - or is it the customer who is blamed for the food waste by chucking them once they reach their Best before date?
Out of interest (maybe) I was given 2 net bags of 4 lemons.
Sainsburys Organic unwaxed £1.50, reduced to 75p, then to 39p then given away "No date helps reduce waste". Origin Spain
Co-op unwaxed £1.75, reduced to 96p, then to 63p, then given away "Best before 3 November". Origin South Africa

The Coop ones are yellower than the Sainsburys which have a greenish tinge but are organic and cheaper. If you need lemons you know where to shop now.

I looked for dates on the other veg I picked up - Waitrose carrots are dated, Sainsburys aren't. They're all in plastic wrappers though.  Sad
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Messages In This Thread
Removing best before dates from fruit & veg - by Veggie - 05-11-2022, 09:58 PM