Jekkas Herbs
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yesterday I visited Jekkas Herbs on one of her open days. £5 to get in - you have to book online.
One of the best days out I've had in a long time.

We got there for 9.15 ready for opening at 9.30. Walked around and looked at the tunnels/glass houses and raised herb beds. Jekka herself was walking about chatting to everyone and giving info on which ones to choose. She was very helpful in my search for some mint varieties Smile

There was a bee talk held by a lady named Jean Vernon, she had a great knowledge and a love of bees and was an absolute joy to listen too. She could write children's novels! I'm not really into big lectures but  she caught a few bees, while she walked around the plants giving her talk. She gave the tale of the bee life, a few garden bees and interesting facts - which flowers were most beneficial for food this early in the year etc ... did you know hellebores held more nectar than most other flowers at this time of year? She really told a tale. She has a book out, unfortunately I couldn't afford it yesterday but maybe will get it for my birthday.

Then at 11, Jekka gave a talk. Also very casual and she is a fabulous person to listen to - extremely knowledgeable and very approachable whi just wants to talk plants!

The plants were well organised, fabulous quality. A bit pricier than your bog standard herb selections but I think that was to be expected.
She is planning to do a planting scheme to showcase more varieties on the farm and is looking for volunteers - if I was a little younger maybe Wink

I think we left around 12.30. Armed with a few purchases, there was an interesting seed collection. Books, tools and other garden related items in the shop. Her herb book is very good. Looking forward to reading that. Coffee and cake also available.
Well worth a visit.
[-] The following 7 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Farendwoman, Garrett, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Messages In This Thread
Jekkas Herbs - by Scarlet - 03-04-2022, 10:46 AM
RE: Jekkas Herbs - by Veggie - 03-04-2022, 11:00 AM
RE: Jekkas Herbs - by Scarlet - 03-04-2022, 11:27 AM
RE: Jekkas Herbs - by Farendwoman - 03-04-2022, 11:58 AM
RE: Jekkas Herbs - by Scarlet - 03-04-2022, 12:58 PM
RE: Jekkas Herbs - by Veggie - 03-04-2022, 12:16 PM
RE: Jekkas Herbs - by Scarlet - 03-04-2022, 12:59 PM
RE: Jekkas Herbs - by Farendwoman - 04-04-2022, 09:22 AM