Making compost bins
Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I currently have a rather sad looking compost pile. I'm going to be adding kitchen scraps until I get my wormery back, but I'm worried about them blowing around. I'd definitely like some walls/compost bays sooner rather than later.

I have lots of wood from fitted wardrobes I've taken apart, but it's coated MDF from the late 70s/early 80s so suspect it shouldn't be anywhere near compost for veggies. There's also some random bits of wood in the greenhouse that don't look like they've been coated in anything, but I don't know their provenance. Finally, there's my fence from the bottom of the garden which is semi-rotten and mostly blown down. It needs removing regardless, but some of the wood might hold up for a year or two if repurposed into a compost bin. Except that's probably been treated too...

Would you use any of this wood? If not, what would you use to construct a compost bin? I'd prefer to avoid the dalek style bins if possible. Given current prices, it could get quite expensive to buy enough wood to make bins and I don't have a source for pallets.

What have you all used? What would you recommend?
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  â€¢ Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Messages In This Thread
Making compost bins - by Proserpina - 08-02-2022, 02:34 PM
RE: Making compost bins - by Veggie - 08-02-2022, 02:41 PM
RE: Making compost bins - by Vinny - 08-02-2022, 03:00 PM
RE: Making compost bins - by Spec - 08-02-2022, 05:20 PM
RE: Making compost bins - by JJB - 08-02-2022, 05:43 PM
RE: Making compost bins - by SarrissUK - 08-02-2022, 07:15 PM
RE: Making compost bins - by Scarlet - 08-02-2022, 09:52 PM