Pot Grown Carrots - Re-using the compost
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Just be careful the type of sand you use Danny. Horticultural grid or course sand are good for improving drainage but fine sand can be detrimental and make it even worse. Gypsum is reccomended for clay sois methinks? Huh

I grew the multicoloured variety of carrots last year in a plastic flower trouph. They are still in there yet on the decking and there is plenty of greenery. I need to lift them soon though as the roots tend to go 'hairy' around March to April before plants run to seed. Rolleyes
I probably won't bother with pot grown carrots this coming year but will go back to sowing a goodly ammount on the plot. As has already been mentioned used potting compost can be re-used for carrots but I personally wouldn't use the stuff last years carrots were in but rather compost that had toms or cukes in last year.
I tried an experiment once where I used the same outdoor bed two years running for growing carrots. Bad Idea, as the second year I had poor results and loads of bug problems. Just saying. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pot Grown Carrots - Re-using the compost - by Vinny - 28-01-2022, 01:47 PM