2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(22-01-2022, 05:53 PM)Veggie Wrote: Afternoon All. Smile
I've had a bookish sort of day and thought I'd share it with you!
Yesterday, on the freebie site, someone asked for hardback books for her husband who wanted to expand his collection. When asked what sort of books - she said "Anything". I started off with one carrier bag of unwanted books for him and by this morning, and pick up time, it had grown to 5 bags.
When they came to collect his wife told me that he has 6400 books (on a spreadsheet) and he still wants more for his man-cave!
I offered him a set of children's encyclopedias that I had as a kid (you can imagine how old they areWink) and he got quite excited - about the quality of the binding, their condition and so on. It was a pleasure to give them to him. I even got invited to "shimmy round his mancave". Big Grin
This afternoon, I collected the yogurt maker and went to Morries for some live yogurt to start it off. There was a man in a wheelchair looking at the charity book stand. Not just looking but picking up books and piling them up in a heap beside him. I couldn't help commenting on the assortment he had so and he said "You'll think I'm crazy but I don't want to read them but to stack up to support a shelf. I'll looking for the thickest books for sale.". Cue Veggie, bending down to the bottom shelf, that he couldn't reach and pulling out all the big unwanted books for him.
He decided that 10 books were enough for his project and asked me to put them in the bag on the back of his wheelchair.............but, it was full of bottles of pop and the rest of his shopping and I could only get a few books in. I packed the rest into one of my shopping bags and put it on his lap where he could hold it in place with his useless right arm (stroke apparently).
We left the store together, doing the pointless, After you, No After You until we reached the carpark.
The moral of this story is - everyone needs books, Kindles just aren't versatile enough!
I've started stacking my books horizontally instead of vertically. It makes them a lot easier to read the titles I think. Smile I've also put my bookcases up high as its a pain to try and find books near the floor.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Messages In This Thread
2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - by Veggie - 31-12-2021, 11:38 PM
RE: 2022 - Good Morning, Afternoon, Night - by Vinny - 22-01-2022, 09:44 PM