2024 Grow Food/Garden for Free Challenge
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I didn't spend a penny on fertilizer last year and won't be spending anything this year either. I am fortunate in having a large plot to garden in and have an area of comfrey which I harvest a few times as needed in the year. I stuff as much as I can fit into a 200L water butt. I used to then fill it with water and leave for a few weeks before using and used mainly in the greenhouse. Well during the lockdowns,  we bought an outdoor composting toilet for visitors to use when meeting outdoors. This has a urine diverter to collect the liquid separate from the solids and pretty well prevent smells. I started adding this to the comfrey instead of water as the 2 together are be very rich in all P,N and K. I then use this quite liberally for watering lots of veg. I put 2 to 4 inches in bottom of 10L watering can and top up with water and use for onions, tomatoes, peppers, carrots cabbage... For potatoes, I dig a shallow trench, line with garden compost from a 2 year old heap and water well with the mix before planting and filling in the trench.

When you think about it there are about 8 billion people alive now and it isn't possible for everyone to use fresh drinking water to flush toilets with. It is a great waste of natural resources. People are quite happy using animal waste products even valuing it. May be more people should consider using 'liquid gold'. I have mentioned this before.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Grow Food/Garden for Free Challenge - by Mark_Riga - 26-01-2024, 12:33 AM