Are Sunday dinners a thing of the past?
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
As a kid growing up, on Sunday my 2 brothers and I had mass at 10:00, (my parents would have been at 9:00)and the pipe band practice from 11:00 to 13:00, then home for Sunday roast dinner circa 13:30. It would be chicken, beef (generally housekeepers cut) or if we were lucky a leg of lamb, sometimes it might not be roast it might be boiled bacon, ham or corned beef. When roast there were always roast potatoes and gravy, we never had Yorkshire pud (which I love) my mother never made them despite all her cooking and baking abilities. I had my first Yorkshire pud when I was about 21 or 22 on my first visit to my wife’s family in London and fell in love with them.
My mother always made sure there was enough of the roast meat left over on a Sunday for Monday sandwiches for my brokers and I going to school, my father was able to slice roast beef paper thin and stretch it. I lover roast beef sandwiches with brown sauce especially YR sauce.
Here at home as it’s generally my wife and I we still often have a roast on a Sunday but it will always be in the evening, as I like to spend time in the garden/tunnel on a Sunday, if we have chicken I buy the stuffed breasts on the bone an cook 1 each for us.
I love if guests are over for dinner on a Sunday especially my children and grandchildren then we have dinner about 4 and we’ll do a roast pork dish with cracking and stuffing and Yorkshire puds but I’m afraid I can’t make them it’s Aunt Bessy’s from the freezer.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 4 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are Sunday dinners a thing of the past? - by Can the Man - 24-01-2022, 12:30 AM