Are Sunday dinners a thing of the past?
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(23-01-2022, 10:05 PM)Veggie Wrote: As a kid, it was always Sunday Lunch at 1 before we were packed off to Sunday School. When we came out of chapel we walked about half a mile to buy a brick of icecream ( vanilla, strawberry and three colours if they had it in stock) and walked home with it wrapped in white paper (we didn't have a fridge or freezer so most things were bought when needed). Aunt, Uncle and cousins would arrive for High Tea (jelly, trifle, that sort of stuff) and we'd play Newmarket, using the same bowl of pennies that came out every Sunday.
Once married & working, the weekends were the only days to catch up on housework, gardening and days out, so Sunday dinner was an evening meal with enough leftover to last a couple of days without needing much cooking.
Sunday is just another day now and I prefer to eat in the evening. Tonight was tuna and sweetcorn pasta - not exactly traditional Sunday fodder.
You've just brought back a few memories there Veggie from when I was a kid. Rolleyes It was always custard and jelly when we came home from Sunday School with a huge plate of bread cut into doorsteps and slathered with margerine in the middle of the table to help yourself. Smile  I still usually eat bread and butter (posh now) with my custard and jelly. It used to annoy the hell out of Helen!
We also used to get an old penny for the collection, which we used to put in the Beechnut machine on the shop wall which was next to the church. Every forth penny you used to get TWO packets of beechnuts! Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are Sunday dinners a thing of the past? - by Vinny - 24-01-2022, 12:25 AM