Lettuce appreciation society
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
OK. I'll test some - see if they grow. Don't tell anyone because its a bit embarrassing, but I have 6 packets with 200 seeds in each. They're Suttons seeds.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, Scarlet, Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
We're another lettuce loving household - you can't beat a big bowl of crunchy leaves topped off with other tasty stuff to brighten a deep winter's day Smile

Always on the list - green oak leaf and red salad bowl, freckles, marvel of the 4 seasons and little gem for cooking. The last couple of years we've also had rouge d'hiver (v expensive seed that has failed this year despite being in date Sad ), paris Island cos and a very cheap and cheerful all purpose red batavia.

In the summer I have to sow lettuce in the late afternoon and pop the tray in the coolest spot I can find or it just doesn't germinate, although interestingly I rarely have problems with it bolting. But then I sow very little every 2 weeks so it doesn't get a chance!

Reading this thread, it is another one to try and save seed from.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 6 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, mcdood, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Quote:No chance of growing lettuce in the ground here - too many dogs and chickens around! In the GH I can control the watering, rather than the rain. making them soggy.

I can't always be right.Wink

This is a self-seeded lettuce from who knows where - completely untouched by chooks or slugs. I can't pick it - it deserves a long life and a happy one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
That looks a bit like marvel of 4 season. But so many lettuce varieties look very similar. He does look very happy.
I must take photos of my red iceberg tomorrow. They’re looking good with no protection as well.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My Red Icebergs were doing OK until the dogs decided there was a mouse in the GH - and trampled the lettuce seedlings. A few survived - so did the mouse!
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, mcdood, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Here’s my red iceberg. I even gave the bed a quick weed before taking photos  Blush . As you can see I didn’t put much effort into it    Big Grin .

Had this one for my tea. I really do like red iceberg. 

Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(07-03-2021, 10:55 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: In the summer I have to sow lettuce in the late afternoon and pop the tray in the coolest spot I can find or it just doesn't germinate, although interestingly I rarely have problems with it bolting. But then I sow very little every 2 weeks so it doesn't get a chance!

And this year of course it is bolting like mad despite being a pretty cool and wet summer so far.

We're loving Paris Island Cos at the moment,  really fresh and crunchy Smile
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, JJB, mcdood, Small chilli, Veggie

Bren Offline
Mixed lettuce I picked yesterday. 

[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I love iceberg type lettuce - I used to grow Great Lakes - I think? It was lovely. Will try to get seed for the red one for next year. I'm currently just sowing all the left over packs ....but germination isn't always the best with old lettuce seed.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The Red Iceberg that SP and I are growing is from 2014!!
I'll see if I have another packet for you.Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli