Second hand books I've bought
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Other women buy shoes or handbags - my weaknesses are seeds and books.  When its raining or during dark evenings, I think of a word or theme and search the secondhand book sites - my favourites are AwesomeBooks and Music Magpie - both have FREE P&P. These books have just been delivered. Where to start? They cost £23 for 7 books and they're all like new.

"The Way Home. Tales from a life without technology" - Mark Boyle who wrote "The Moneyless Man" and the inspiration for the Moneyless Chicken. Big Grin
"Free. Adventures on the margins of a wasteful society. What happens when you walk away from everything you think you can't live without".- Katharine Hibbert.
"Adventures in Opting out - A Field Guide to leading an Intentional Life". - Cait Flanders.
"Seaweed and eat it. A family foraging and eating adventure" Fiona Houston & Xa Milne
"The Weeders Digest. Identifying and enjoying edible weeds" - Gail Harland. I like her books and this one has pictures!
"The new English Kitchen. How to make your food go further" - Rose Prince. Like the look of this one - although quite a lot of meat recipes that I'll ignore. Even ways to keep lettuce for longer and to use it in soup!!
"Diary of a Modern Country Gardener. Secrets for every season straight from the Potting shed " Tamsin Westhorpe. She lives and works on the family farm "Stockton Bury" which also has a garden open to the public. Looks quite humorous. 

PS. My last theme was "Zero-Waste". I now own several books like Zero Waste Kitchen, even Zero Waste Gardening!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
All worthy titles, puts my rom coms and thrillers to shame, mind you all mine were free. P would have a fit if I started buying books, he'd say I'd better read the hundreds I've got first.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
They all sound interesting books.
I tried lettuce soup once - didn't like it.
And last week on BBC radio listened to "Curlew in Autumn" where a hermit is dying of cancer after diet of seaweed that was contaminated with radiation.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have plenty of Free books - they're the ones I read before sleep. The ones I've just bought are for reading when I'm awake! I'm looking for ways to become even more frugal.Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(12-10-2024, 08:11 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: They all sound interesting books.
I tried lettuce soup once - didn't like it.
And last week on BBC radio listened to "Curlew in Autumn" where a hermit is dying of cancer after diet of seaweed that was contaminated with radiation.
Thanks Mark. I'll see if I can find it on IPlayer. Actually, I don't recommend the Seaweed book, the illustrations/ photos are black & white and very poor quality. No good for identification. There's very little about seaweed in there  and the font they've used for the text is  weird. Takes concentration to read. Its a different font for the recipes and they're legible.
I should have read the Amazon reviews first!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Of all the second hand gardening books you’ve brought, which have you found most useful ?
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I buy charity shop books every week.So much so,that my Daughterhas to drag me away from them. I usually pay 50p or three for a pound. I was gutted when Farplace put their books up to a squid each!!!!
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Bob does the charity shop books regularly as well. Our charity shop has a unique way of displaying their books. Not as you would think or expect, like alphabetical or by author or even in genre. No they are display in colour of the spin.
It drives lots of people nuts. But Bob says he reads things he never normally read because he has to search so much for the stuff he would.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-10-2024, 08:34 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Of all the second hand gardening books you’ve brought, which have you found most useful ?
Very few of them! Nobody gardens my way. Big Grin
Joy Larkcom's "Grow your own vegetables" for basic essential information - like when to sow, spacing etc. No pictures, just words. 
I like books about Forest gardening,  perennial veg, polyculture, herbs.
Books with the words Design & Plan in the titles have no chance. Not a fan of TV gardeners although Bob Flowerdew and Geoff Hamilton are OK.
I'm not a fan of No Dig Charles either. All his books have the same information, jiggled about and regurgitated. .
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I can't remember the last time I looked at a gardening book seriously. The occasional look at a Dr Hessayan yields advice on spray with this chemical or that, probably not a good idea with my track record. I've some lovely 'coffee table' books all redundant now we can use the internet. The sad thing is no one wants picture gardening books nowadays not even the charity shops. Same with cookery books.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny