The build
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,371
(19-07-2024, 10:49 AM)JJB Wrote:
(16-07-2024, 12:54 PM)Small chilli Wrote: It’s very exciting. And a little depressing. £2500 for just over an hours work  Rolleyes . I don’t begrudge the boys doing the work at all. They have to bugger about with the dangerous stuff. It’s the money grabbing pen pushers, further up the food chain. I take issue with. 

The other thing. Our application for a grant and a loan were accepted yesterday. So we are having an air source heat pump. Also very exciting.  Cool .

P's eyes lit up when I read that to him about the air source thingy. He awaits installments with interest.

If I told you the price, I’m pretty certain I could make P’s eyes water!   Wink  It wouldn’t be happening if we hadn’t been approved for the grant & loan.  Blush

(19-07-2024, 10:52 AM)JJB Wrote:
(19-07-2024, 10:06 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Well as it was a wet horrible day yesterday Bob spent the day phoning energy providers. To see who could fit a meter box within a reasonable time frame. We ended up going with British Gas. Because they could do it in about 6 weeks time. This is by no means guaranteed! It could take longer! Allegedly we’re going to get a date for this today. I’m not holding my breath! Even though 6 weeks isn’t quick in the real world. British Gas was by far the best we got. All the others were double that or couldn’t / wouldn’t give us a date at all!

It really beggars belief. You'd think they'd be eager to get new customers. To be so near yet so far must be really frustrating.
 So so frustrating!
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
#1,372
Does that mean you are tied to British Gas for your electric supply? Britiish Gas is who I get my electric & gas from and although I have heard others whine abuot them, I have had no bother with them Cool . I do keep getting requests from them to install a smart meter, but I would rather stay as I am. I may e wrong but a smart meter is a legal requirement for new homes methinks?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,373
I have a smart meter (with Eon). Its no problem and saves me having to apologise for the dogs when the meter reader used to come round.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,374
(19-07-2024, 12:17 PM)Vinny Wrote: Does that mean you are tied to British Gas for your electric supply? Britiish Gas is who I get my electric & gas from and although I have heard others whine abuot them, I have had no bother with them Cool . I do keep getting requests from them to install a smart meter, but I would rather stay as I am. I may e wrong but a smart meter is a legal requirement for new homes methinks?
Yes we’re tied to them for 14 months. Then we will definitely be changing. We went with who ever was willing to install a meter the quickest. We wanted octopus. And will probably be changing to them once our contract is up. But they’re just not interested in installing meters on the island. We know of at least 3 other builds on the island that has gone with them. Now regretting it. One lot have been waiting 4 months and still haven’t been given a date for installation.
Like you say smart meter is none negotiable for new builds. Unfortunately they don’t work well up here because of the technology they use  Rolleyes . So it’s all going to be great fun  Big Grin .
  • Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,375
(19-07-2024, 11:42 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(16-07-2024, 12:54 PM)Small chilli Wrote: It’s very exciting. And a little depressing. £2500 for just over an hours work  Rolleyes . I don’t begrudge the boys doing the work at all. They have to bugger about with the dangerous stuff. It’s the money grabbing pen pushers, further up the food chain. I take issue with. 

The other thing. Our application for a grant and a loan were accepted yesterday. So we are having an air source heat pump. Also very exciting.  Cool .

P's eyes lit up when I read that to him about the air source thingy. He awaits installments with interest.

If I told you the price, I’m pretty certain I could make P’s eyes water!   Wink  It wouldn’t be happening if we hadn’t been approved for the grant & loan.  Blush
Nextdoor elderlies had one fitted before he passed, even the installer told him it wasn't appropriate for that type of building but he still went ahead. £17K + and he never figured out how to control it, poor bloke.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,376
(19-07-2024, 02:39 PM)JJB Wrote:

Nextdoor elderlies had one fitted before he passed, even the installer told him it wasn't appropriate for that type of building but he still went ahead. £17K + and he never figured out how to control it, poor bloke.
We are just under that figure. Must admit I was very dubious about having one. As the only one I had any experience of was one of the very early ones also in an inappropriate building and being used incorrectly. Like your experience by someone who didn’t really understand how it worked.  So I really wasn’t keen on having one because I didn’t think they worked well and cost a lot to run. I’m slowly coming round to the idea. Still not totally convinced.
  • Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,377
(19-07-2024, 05:09 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(19-07-2024, 02:39 PM)JJB Wrote:

We are just under that figure. Must admit I was very dubious about having one. As the only one I had any experience of was one of the very early ones also in an inappropriate building and being used incorrectly. Like your experience by someone who didn’t really understand how it worked.  So I really wasn’t keen on having one because I didn’t think they worked well and cost a lot to run. I’m slowly coming round to the idea. Still not totally convinced.

Personally, I know nothing, but P said your house, designed around an air pump and really well insulated seems to be the ideal scenario.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,378
We have electric!!
Didn’t think it was going to happen. As they said they were going to turn up on a bank holiday Monday. But it did, they actually turned up today. It’s very exciting.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Roitelet, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,379
Fantastic. Big Grin
What's the next big step forward?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,380
(05-08-2024, 09:38 PM)Veggie Wrote: Fantastic. Big Grin
What's the next big step forward?
Several things. Still putting solar panels on roof, still burying and connecting treatment plant, and finding an electrician to actually put all the electrical things in the house where we need them. Not aloud to do that ourselves.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie, Vinny