Orangeto tomatoes
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
New thread as requested by JJB
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
What do you think of Orangeto? I don't like it, pretty tasteless and bad texture. Fruit much smaller than expected. Best tasting cherry this year has been Orange Paruche.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-09-2024, 01:38 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: What do you think of Orangeto? I don't like it, pretty tasteless and bad texture. Fruit much smaller than expected. Best tasting cherry this year has been Orange Paruche.

I liked it enough to grow again. The early fruit didn't impress but later on in the season they improved in sweetness. I'm still picking now.  I didn't realise they'd need the amount of support and  I had to raise up the trailing boughs from the floor. So far they're the best patio tom I've tried so far. I'm tempted to try your Orange Paruche. I'm off to Google.

PS another plus is/was they're just outside the back door and are ideal to scrump when passing by.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(29-09-2024, 03:02 PM)JJB Wrote:
(29-09-2024, 01:38 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: What do you think of Orangeto? I don't like it, pretty tasteless and bad texture. Fruit much smaller than expected. Best tasting cherry this year has been Orange Paruche.

I liked it enough to grow again. The early fruit didn't impress but later on in the season they improved in sweetness. I'm still picking now.  I didn't realise they'd need the amount of support and  I had to raise up the trailing boughs from the floor. So far they're the best patio tom I've tried so far. I'm tempted to try your Orange Paruche. I'm off to Google.

PS another plus is/was they're just outside the back door and are ideal to scrump when passing by.

Have you got a photo of your Orangeto fruit? I'm wondering if mine are slightly off type, I was expecting them to be the same size and shape as Romello. 

Orange Paruche has that sort of tropical Sungold smell. Some suppliers list it as a hybrid, others don't. Pennard Plants have it as blight resistant, but nowhere else does. It hasn't got blight yet, despite plenty of other varieties having it for over a month.

None of the blight resistant cherries have impressed flavour wise, but then it's been a pretty bad year for tomato taste in general for me.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-09-2024, 04:47 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(29-09-2024, 03:02 PM)JJB Wrote:

Have you got a photo of your Orangeto fruit? I'm wondering if mine are slightly off type, I was expecting them to be the same size and shape as Romello. 

Orange Paruche has that sort of tropical Sungold smell. Some suppliers list it as a hybrid, others don't. Pennard Plants have it as blight resistant, but nowhere else does. It hasn't got blight yet, despite plenty of other varieties having it for over a month.

None of the blight resistant cherries have impressed flavour wise, but then it's been a pretty bad year for tomato taste in general for me.

The remaining fruit just harvested are rather small, definitely smaller than sungold. In peak season there were some larger fruit earlier on.  I'll try to get a picture of a sungold and orangeto together for comparison. 

As far as blight resistant cherries go, I found primivera and primibella both had a decent taste later on in the season, then the rains came and they all split.  Honeycomb is sweet and doesn't split like sungold.

Hey Veggie how about moving this discussion to the tomato thread so we can find it later on?
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • toomanytommytoes

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Size comparison.  Orangeto are definitely smaller than sungold or honeycomb,  although the photo doesn't demonstrate this well.

Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • toomanytommytoes, Veggie