The beauty of weeds!
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I used to be fastidious in the removal of weeds from my herbaceous/shrub borders, initially because of laziness I have now come to realise the beauty in what we call weeds! 
They say a weed is just an unwanted plant in a certain location,but these unwanted plants can turn into things of beauty in the eye of the beholder. 

I do however keep part of my lawn well tended which to me is complementary to the haphazzard plants in the borders surrounding it. Part of the shaped lawn at the top of the garden I leave to it's own devices as well and cut maybe twice a year? I also have a clump of nettles in an out of the way shady spot.

I have noticed that my less formal borders are attracting more birds, butterflies, hoverflies and bees which I can look at out ofthe kitchen window whilst washing the dishes. Smile

There is no soil to be seen in the borders and to me it is a thing of beauty!
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
What weeds have you got Vinny?

Creeping buttercups
Field buttercup
Selfheal,
Oxeye daisy
Daisy
Dandelion
Clover
Herb Robert
Bindweed
Plantain
I’m guessing most of them + others
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(28-06-2024, 03:09 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(28-06-2024, 03:03 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(28-06-2024, 10:50 AM)Small chilli Wrote: What weeds have you got Vinny?

Creeping buttercups
Field buttercup
Selfheal,
Oxeye daisy
Daisy
Dandelion
Clover
Herb Robert
Bindweed
Plantain
I’m guessing most of them + others
Impressed with my 5 foot high Docks! Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Weeds are just flowers by another name. Montbretia and Vinca are "Flowers" but they are weeds here. I'd rather have more dandelions and clover than montbretia & Vinca.
I know you'll disagree but grass is a weed in my opinion. I'd prefer to have a "lawn" of wild flowers and weeds than grass. You don't see many butterflies and bees on grass, it doesn't feed the birds or people. Its just pointless!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Vinny Offline
(28-06-2024, 08:14 PM)Veggie Wrote: Weeds are just flowers by another name. Montbretia and Vinca are "Flowers" but they are weeds here. I'd rather have more dandelions and clover than montbretia & Vinca.
I know you'll disagree but grass is a weed in my opinion. I'd prefer to have a "lawn" of wild flowers and weeds than grass. You don't see many butterflies and bees on grass, it doesn't feed the birds or people. Its just pointless!
As an ex sports groundsman I am hardly likely to denigrate grass, which I spent half my life learning about (my children know all the latin names of the various cultivars as they helped me to rehearse  them parrot fashion prior to exams) and cultivating to a high level for football,rugby,cricket,lacrosse,Gaelic football,American football,hockey and a host of other sports including, if you can believe it,Quiddich! Rolleyes

I also think that visually a well kept lawn sets off a not so well kept border,likewise with an uncut area of grass alongside a cut area?

The only time I wouldn't have a lawn is if the garden was too small for it.

Horses for courses though,I can see your point veggie, but surely its better than a paved area ecologically?
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Garrett Offline
Weeds are the main diet for my tortoise so I always keep dandelions, sow thistle and clover whenever they pop up in the garden. It's free food and they don't last long or take over given the speed at which he eats them.
[-] The following 3 users Like Garrett's post:

Vinny Offline
My Mam used to keep rabbits, guinee pigs and at one point chickens. My dear auld Dad (God rest his soul) used to like a drink or two and usually used to stagger home with a big armfull of dandelion leaves (which he called rabbit meat) as a peace offering for my Mams bunnies, instead of a bunch of flowers! Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:

zooe81 Offline
Banned
(29-06-2024, 09:17 AM)Garrett Wrote: Weeds are the main diet for my tortoise so I always keep dandelions, sow thistle and clover whenever they pop up in the garden. It's free food and they don't last long or take over given the speed at which he eats them.
That's so clever! Using weeds as a food source for your tortoise is not only free but also a great way to keep your garden under control. I'm sure your tortoise appreciates the fresh snacks
[-] The following 1 user Likes zooe81's post:
  • Garrett