Planting ideas anyone?
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I have a small bed about 10' x 3' with a single off centre rose, a bit of yellow sedum and bog standard aubretia.  I've tried to get stuff draping over the wall but the plants always invade the whole bed instead. I usually fill it with bedding but wondered what ideas you great minds could come up with in the way of pernnial or semi perennial planting.  The bed has a twin the other side of the steps up to the lawn with a bit more permanent planting with sedum, rockery calendula, aubretia, oxalis.  The lawn gets mowed (obviously)  and so will anything invading the lawn space, P is not very protective of any plants invading the lawn edge   Rolleyes
I'm not thinking things 4ft high but I'm open to ideas.

Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Buddleia  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Why isn't it planted the same as the one on the other side? That would be neat and symmetrical and the sort of thing that P would like (maybe?).
If it were me, I'd plant lavender, rosemary, sage, thyme and other perennial, evergreen herbs. Decorative, useful, scented, low maintenance. easy to pick.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(27-05-2024, 11:20 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Buddleia  Big Grin
Looks like there's one on the far side of the slope, in the other bed.  Big Grin
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Creeping thyme for over the wall? I’d fill it with peonies and rudbeckia and lupins and sweet William and possibly some alliums

That’s a very pretty rose by the way
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(27-05-2024, 11:22 AM)Veggie Wrote: Why isn't it planted the same as the one on the other side? That would be neat and symmetrical and the sort of thing that P would like (maybe?).
If it were me, I'd plant lavender, rosemary, sage, thyme and other perennial, evergreen herbs. Decorative, useful, scented, low maintenance. easy to pick.

When the bedding goes in it does look vaguely symmetrical (to suit P) but also looks parks & gardens ish. See pic of other side of the steps. 
I already have the buddleia in the background as V spotted, the mother of the orange cuttings I sent you SC. I've got rosemary next to the buddleia.  The bedding this year is going to be showy yet again with dahlia lubega and possibly marigolds if any I've sown grow.

Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
It does look very pretty and well managed. There is nowhere in my garden that looks as nice as that. I'm almost envious, almost............
  • Mark_Riga, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(27-05-2024, 04:07 PM)Veggie Wrote: It does look very pretty and well managed. There is nowhere in my garden that looks as nice as that. I'm almost envious, almost............
Nothing well managed about it, it's totally random with not a lot of thought. Although I admit that photo looks better than reality.  You would hate my garden Veggie.  Wink
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

This is one of the prettier spots in my garden!. No comparison, is there! The grass hasn't been cut all year. Though I say it myself, its awful.  Cry
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, MartinH, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(27-05-2024, 06:19 PM)Veggie Wrote: This is one of the prettier spots in my garden!. No comparison, is there! The grass hasn't been cut all year. Though I say it myself, its awful.  Cry

It's very pretty. 
Your 'garden' is far larger than many and you have only a finite number of hours to do things and you love it no matter what. Not everyone is like P who likes weed free and straight lines.
I must admit I wouldn't know where to start with yours.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie