Preventing weed growth on soil wall/slope
doublyjonah Offline
Hi all, 

My allotment site is on a slope. My individual plot is higher on one long side than the other. From the weedy grassy path that runs between our plot and the neighbours', it's about a foot or more step down to my plot. That means some of my beds have a weedy wall with grass that grows down from the path. It is hard to strim and the overhanging grass causes a lot of pest damage to things growing in those beds 

Any ideas to practically mulch/cover/control the little wall/slope that won't be a complete haven for slugs etc?

Thanks!

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Can you put a barrier/ wall vertically say scaffold planks?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • doublyjonah, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
(20-05-2024, 08:18 PM)JJB Wrote: Can you put a barrier/ wall vertically say scaffold planks?
Thanks, JJB. I have paving slabs and had considered leaning them against the side, but worry about my kids getting squashed by them. Your suggestion of a wall out of something less treacherous also makes me think of lining up some planters/creating a raised bed down the side. Then I would block out the growing area for the weeds ( if I build up high enough) and have a much easier to maintain growing area. I will convince my husband of the wisdom of this plan and the related expense!
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Can you line the "slope" with weed membrane?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • doublyjonah

doublyjonah Offline
That's a possibility but I'm trying to get away from it since it starts to shed plastic bits over time. I'm also wondering about the slug aspect, but I guess I'll never completely avoid it. I've tried cardboard and old compost bags but it really needs something fixed there, not just haphazardly thrown on top.
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(22-05-2024, 05:02 PM)doublyjonah Wrote: That's a possibility but I'm trying to get away from it since it starts to shed plastic bits over time. I'm also wondering about the slug aspect, but I guess I'll never completely avoid it. I've tried cardboard and old compost bags but it really needs something fixed there, not just haphazardly thrown on top.
Burn the edges of the membrane. Stops it shedding (as long as you don’t hit it with the strimmer after it’s down  Wink )
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • doublyjonah, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(20-05-2024, 03:27 PM)doublyjonah Wrote: Hi all, 

My allotment site is on a slope. My individual plot is higher on one long side than the other. From the weedy grassy path that runs between our plot and the neighbours', it's about a foot or more step down to my plot. That means some of my beds have a weedy wall with grass that grows down from the path. It is hard to strim and the overhanging grass causes a lot of pest damage to things growing in those beds 

Any ideas to practically mulch/cover/control the little wall/slope that won't be a complete haven for slugs etc?

Thanks!
Using the Permaculture Principle of "The Problem is the solution",  the Problem is the Path. 

or, with my Dr. Veggie M*D hat on, the symptoms (weedy wall, overhanging grass, pest damage) lead us to a diagnosis that if the  Path wasn't grass, the symptoms would be cured/eased. 

You said you have paving slabs,  can you put these on the path to keep the grass under control. Would your neighbour have any objections? Would save work on strimming.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • doublyjonah

doublyjonah Offline
Good point about the burning, SC. I do think there is some weed membrane at the plot still, so a definite possibility.

I'm not sure if the paving slabs could be safely set along the whole path as it might not be wide enough and I think it would take a lot of doing to get the path prepped for the slabs so they'd stay put. Definitely worth thinking about longer term, at a less busy time of year. I wonder if we might also bank up some soil to make it gently slope from path to beds, then use some of the other suggestions.

I looked at raised bed kits, and I reckon I could get one delivered and filled for around £40 or 50. Which is not ridiculous, but I'm getting my thinking cap back on. Can you tell this is basically a stream of consciousness thread???

I've taken some of those grocery delivery plastic crates down to the allotment this year to grow in like mini beds. Maybe I could line them up next to the bank and stuff a bunch of cardboard between them and the path wall. Or cover the area with melted edge weed membrane then put the mini beds on top. I am dreaming of something more attractive, but my gardener's frugality is really surfacing...
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Weedkiller or rocksalt?..............runs for cover! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons

doublyjonah Offline
(23-05-2024, 09:52 AM):angel:Vinny Wrote: Weedkiller or rocksalt?..............runs for cover! Rolleyes
Angel not me looking innocent, but after I fail to outrun the pitchfork-wielding plot holders on site
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Vinny