Garden And Gossip Forums
Aubergines 2021 - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Veggie (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Aubergines 2021 (/showthread.php?tid=796)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Aubergines 2021 - Broadway - 13-03-2021

(13-03-2021, 04:01 PM)Eyren Wrote: My Black Beauty aubergine seeds still haven't germinated (from a sowing on 26/2) - I'm thinking I should sow some more (sure way to get the current ones to appear, right?).

They should be plenty warm enough in the propagator at 25ºC, which means something else must be wrong. Could be stale seed, or maybe I sowed them too deep? I tried searching online, but came up with very contradictory answers from "a dusting of compost" to "an inch deep" - the latter must surely be wrong, given how small the seeds are?
Hiya Eyren

I would offer some advice but as I'm on my 4th sowing I'll leave it to someone elseSmileSmile

RE: Aubergines 2021 - Small chilli - 02-08-2021

I have a baby Kermit

[attachment=3601]

RE: Aubergines 2021 - Veggie - 07-08-2021

Miss Piggy will be pleased. Smile
I forgot to sow my Kermit!

RE: Aubergines 2021 - PyreneesPlot - 18-08-2021

(05-09-2020, 02:17 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Thai Green Pea Aubergines
Sown 27th Feb
Germinated 25th April
Potted on 25th May
And again 3rd September.
The best one has five leaves ...

It pays off to wait - these aubrgine plants were my entry in the Best Failure category, 2020.

I kept them in the house over winter, but all but one died. The survivor was planted out in May and has turned into the most stunning plant! 

[attachment=3696] [attachment=3697]

I love these leaves worthy of any exotic foliage garden and it has loads of tiny green aubergines. I now just have to find out when they're ready to harvest.

None of the seeds germinated this year!

Edited to add picked first Long Purple yesterday.

RE: Aubergines 2021 - Small chilli - 12-09-2021

I’m loving Kermit aubergines. The plants are much bigger than any other varieties I’ve grown. The aubergine themselves are only small but you get so many of them. They are really flavourful. Will definitely be growing them again.

RE: Aubergines 2021 - JJB - 06-11-2021

I have some fairly large underripe aubergines, in that they have never achieved purpleness. Can I use them in cooking do you think, are they toxic? I expect them to be a bit bitter but tomato dollop would mask that.

RE: Aubergines 2021 - PyreneesPlot - 07-11-2021

I don't think they're toxic when under ripe, but they may be too bitter.

RE: Aubergines 2021 - JJB - 08-11-2021

Thanks PP, the proof will be in the pudding....or dollop.

RE: Aubergines 2021 - PyreneesPlot - 08-11-2021

(18-08-2021, 10:24 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 02:17 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Thai Green Pea Aubergines
Sown 27th Feb
Germinated 25th April
Potted on 25th May
And again 3rd September.
The best one has five leaves ...

It pays off to wait - these aubrgine plants were my entry in the Best Failure category, 2020.

I kept them in the house over winter, but all but one died. The survivor was planted out in May and has turned into the most stunning plant! 

I love these leaves worthy of any exotic foliage garden and it has loads of tiny green aubergines. I now just have to find out when they're ready to harvest.

None of the seeds germinated this year!

Edited to add picked first Long Purple yesterday.

We finally started picking the Thai aubergines - when green, they were intolerably bitter so we left them to go orange, but they were still utterly foul! Beautiful plant, but not worth it. Cry