Garden And Gossip Forums
The build - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The build (/showthread.php?tid=491)

RE: The build - Roitelet - 21-09-2021

(21-09-2021, 08:55 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Bob & his brother fit most of the joists today. Still a few small ones around the loft hatch to do. I spent the day tidying up around the place.
Know it well, woman’s job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: The build - Vinny - 22-09-2021

(21-09-2021, 08:55 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Bob & his brother fit most of the joists today. Still a few small ones around the loft hatch to do. I spent the day tidying up around the place.
Absolutely love it! Cool Much better than watching Grand Designs! Big Grin

RE: The build - Small chilli - 23-09-2021

After being rained off all day yesterday. Today we built scaffolding and started putting the attic floor down. That may seem a little odd, but it is structural in our build.
It was very exciting to be standing in our attic. 

[attachment=3963] [attachment=3964] 

The brothers working together

[attachment=3965]

RE: The build - Veggie - 23-09-2021

The brothers must be very old as they're in black & white. Big Grin

(23-09-2021, 05:34 PM)Veggie Wrote: The brothers must be very old as they're in black & white. Big Grin
Only way to make them look good    Wink Big Grin

RE: The build - Bren - 23-09-2021

Now you've started laying the attic flooring does it make the rooms below feel more room like?

(23-09-2021, 07:52 PM)Bren Wrote: Now you've started laying the attic flooring  does it make the rooms below feel more room like?
Not really. Just dark  Rolleyes . I’m sure they’ll brighten up again  Smile . I was worried they would feel smaller but at the moment they don’t.

RE: The build - PyreneesPlot - 23-09-2021

(21-09-2021, 07:19 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(20-09-2021, 10:52 PM)Scarlet Wrote: This may have been asked before.. is the building insulated?
Yeah the whole thing is. As it’s a SIPs(structural insulated panels) kit. There will also be 150mm insulation going on the floor and an extra 25mm going on the inside of all external walls.

Have you got room for more? We have 200mm in the floors and walls, 400 in the loft. Our unheated bedroom stays warm overnight - warmed in the evening by the small 7kw log burner in the living room, and then the warmth generated by our bodies once we've gone to bed and shut the door, even down to minus 15 outside a few times!

RE: The build - toomanytommytoes - 24-09-2021

270mm is apparently the point of diminishing returns for mineral/glass loft insulation. I think EPS boards can provide similar efficiency at much lower thickness. Currently re-insulating the space above a bedroom and we're going for 300mm of mineral wool. Job made much harder by whoever demolished the original roof as they decided it was a good idea to leave all the rubble between the joists and put the fibreglass insulation on top. Now we're half way through dragging all the rubble out of a hole in the wall small enough that you have to slide through on your belly. Angry

RE: The build - Small chilli - 24-09-2021

(24-09-2021, 12:36 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: 270mm is apparently the point of diminishing returns for mineral/glass loft insulation. I think EPS boards can provide similar efficiency at much lower thickness. Currently re-insulating the space above a bedroom and we're going for 300mm of mineral wool. Job made much harder by whoever demolished the original roof as they decided it was a good idea to leave all the rubble between the joists and put the fibreglass insulation on top. Now we're half way through dragging all the rubble out of a hole in the wall small enough that you have to slide through on your belly. Angry
Don’t envy you that job. Been there. Had to do that for my grandparents when they had a new roof. The rubble left behind was horrendous.