Garden And Gossip Forums
Garlic 2021-22 - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Alliums (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Garlic 2021-22 (/showthread.php?tid=1297)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Garlic 2021-22 - Broadway - 27-06-2022

(27-06-2022, 05:45 PM)Veggie Wrote: What a lot of faff!! I'd probably cut my finger trying to do it too.!
SmileSmileSmile

RE: Garlic 2021-22 - Vinny - 28-06-2022

(27-06-2022, 05:45 PM)Veggie Wrote: What a lot of faff!! I'd probably cut my finger trying to do it too.!
Works for him but didn't work for me! Rolleyes

RE: Garlic 2021-22 - JJB - 03-07-2022

I dug up some garlic today. The leaves had flopped over and dried out, they're a little rusty. The clumps of cloves were a good size, the biggest I've ever grown, bearing in mind they're just bunged in some poor soil. The outer skins were all black so I fear they've been left in the ground too long. It doesn't look like black mould but just the outers going rotten. Peeling one showed all was well underneath. Anyway I used it for dinner and I'm still here Smile
I will dig up the rest and dry them out and see what happens.

RE: Garlic 2021-22 - SarrissUK - 03-07-2022

I pulled all my garlic today too. They were more than ready to be pulled, but I've been on holiday so they're a bit rusty and floppy.

The smell is amazing Smile

I don't trust them to dry out and cure for storing, so I will make garlic ice cubes Smile

RE: Garlic 2021-22 - Broadway - 04-07-2022

(03-07-2022, 09:27 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: I pulled all my garlic today too. They were more than ready to be pulled, but I've been on holiday so they're a bit rusty and floppy.

The smell is amazing Smile

I don't trust them to dry out and cure for storing, so I will make garlic ice cubes Smile
Hi Sarriss

What method do you use for the cubes please?

RE: Garlic 2021-22 - SarrissUK - 04-07-2022

I'm going to blend them in the food processor with some water, that's all Danny. Then freeze in ice cube trays, then bung them in a bag to keep them sealed. I've not done it before, but there's so many bulbs with no outter layer to protect the cloves that I daren't store them. What do you think? Will it work?

RE: Garlic 2021-22 - Broadway - 05-07-2022

(04-07-2022, 09:27 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: I'm going to blend them in the food processor with some water, that's all Danny. Then freeze in ice cube trays, then bung them in a bag to keep them sealed. I've not done it before, but there's so many bulbs with no outter layer to protect the cloves that I daren't store them. What do you think? Will it work?
No idea but I'm sure someone willSmile

RE: Garlic 2021-22 - Broadway - 15-07-2022

(04-07-2022, 09:27 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: I'm going to blend them in the food processor with some water, that's all Danny. Then freeze in ice cube trays, then bung them in a bag to keep them sealed. I've not done it before, but there's so many bulbs with no outter layer to protect the cloves that I daren't store them. What do you think? Will it work?
Hiya Sarriss

With your job exploits did you get a chance to freeze your garlic?

RE: Garlic 2021-22 - SarrissUK - 16-07-2022

I haven't yet Danny - they're still drying outside! I've purposely waited, since I knew it was going to get hotter than hell on Monday and Tuesday, so I will be cutting them all down and peel the worst of it off outside tomorrow, and do the mashing/blending when it's too hot to be outside Smile