Garden And Gossip Forums
2020/21 - What's made you happy today? - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: 2020/21 - What's made you happy today? (/showthread.php?tid=128)

RE: What's made you happy today? - Jimny14 - 24-01-2021

(23-01-2021, 09:07 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(23-01-2021, 07:16 PM)Jimny14 Wrote:
(23-01-2021, 05:04 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(23-01-2021, 12:57 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: A nicely laid hedge
OMG! Did you do that?? I would love a hedge like that.

I cant take the credit, father in law and sister in law did the technical work. Weve got approx 150' or so of mixed deciduous hedge all laid now. It's mainly hawthorn, with a little field maple, hazel, guielder rose, some less wanted brambles, a random bit of lilac, a gooseberry (no idea) and a patch of something that we're not sure what it is.
I planted hawthorn, sloe, field maple, hazel and guelder rose - about 180? Exactly 2 years ago now.I would love to know what to do...too early to lay?

It was a cold horrible job to plant them in...was wondering this year whether the rose was a good thing to plant. It is so tall. I was wondering should I cut some of the stems out this year.

It depends what you want from your hedge. Our main priority long term is stock proofing as we boarder a field which normally has cattle in. That's why we have approx70- 80% hawthorn (blackthorn/slow is equally as good) in ours. The other bits are good wildlife interest. If you feel any bits of rose are getting too tall you can either cut em out or cut them back. As for laying a new hedge I'd say at least 3 years after planting.  We did ours after 5 but we're in an exposed site with plenty wind. 

RE: What's made you happy today? - Scarlet - 24-01-2021

(24-01-2021, 01:07 AM)Jimny14 Wrote:
(23-01-2021, 09:07 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(23-01-2021, 07:16 PM)Jimny14 Wrote:
(23-01-2021, 05:04 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(23-01-2021, 12:57 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: A nicely laid hedge
OMG! Did you do that?? I would love a hedge like that.

I cant take the credit, father in law and sister in law did the technical work. Weve got approx 150' or so of mixed deciduous hedge all laid now. It's mainly hawthorn, with a little field maple, hazel, guielder rose, some less wanted brambles, a random bit of lilac, a gooseberry (no idea) and a patch of something that we're not sure what it is.
I planted hawthorn, sloe, field maple, hazel and guelder rose - about 180? Exactly 2 years ago now.I would love to know what to do...too early to lay?

It was a cold horrible job to plant them in...was wondering this year whether the rose was a good thing to plant. It is so tall. I was wondering should I cut some of the stems out this year.

It depends what you want from your hedge. Our main priority long term is stock proofing as we boarder a field which normally has cattle in. That's why we have approx70- 80% hawthorn (blackthorn/slow is equally as good) in ours. The other bits are good wildlife interest. If you feel any bits of rose are getting too tall you can either cut em out or cut them back. As for laying a new hedge I'd say at least 3 years after planting.  We did ours after 5 but we're in an exposed site with plenty wind. 
Ours is for stock proofing. It used to be cows...but now it's just sheep. I was sick and tired of bulls looking into my kitchen while happily munching on my plants! Since we've done the hedge - it's just sheep. But I cried the last time they got in Smile nit just eating my garden but the holes in the ground they leave behind.  I also wanted a varied hedge for birds and wildlife. I put the roses in as I love the flowers and the hips are gorgeous- it also matches the other hedges close by. But they are much more vigorous than the rest of the hedge.

RE: What's made you happy today? - Vinny - 24-01-2021

I took a big chunk of ice out of the birdbath and what made me happy was the birds splashing about in the warm water I had added from the kettle. It was supposed to be for them to drink but as long as their feathers don't freeze up I don't mind! Rolleyes

Another thing that made me happy was watching, what i think were blue tits attacking the seed balls hanging up. I usually only get spuggies and starlings so this was a treat. Cool

RE: What's made you happy today? - Scarlet - 24-01-2021

(24-01-2021, 02:12 PM)Vinny Wrote: I took a big chunk of ice out of the birdbath and what made me happy was the birds splashing about in the warm water I had added from the kettle. It was supposed to be for them to drink but as long as their feathers don't freeze up I don't mind! Rolleyes

Another thing that made me happy was watching, what i think were blue tits attacking the seed balls hanging up. I usually only get spuggies and starlings so this was a treat. Cool
My bird table is a constant distraction for me.
I think I'm lucky as I get lots of variety and occasionally manage to spot the woodpecker- when he comes to visit I dare not breathe Big Grin
[attachment=2055]

RE: What's made you happy today? - Veggie - 24-01-2021

Lots of Long tailed tits, Blue & Great tits & Robins on the feeders today. Blackbirds and dunnocks beneath on the ground. Like you, Scarlet, the occasional woodpecker pops in. Smile

RE: What's made you happy today? - Can the Man - 24-01-2021

I’m happy as I had a nice pint with my evening meal.

[attachment=2056]

RE: What's made you happy today? - Mark_Riga - 25-01-2021

While pulling a fence down round the old septic tank, there were 2 robins hopping about trying to trip me up. Then fighting over any worms they found. I thought you only got one at any time.

I've mixed feelings about woodpeckers. we often get them on peanut feeders in with the blue tits and great tits. But they do go after other birds nests in the spring. There was a robin nesting in the greenhouse a couple of years ago and I managed to chase a woodpecker out before it did any damage. But a few years before that, a sparrows nest was got that was nesting behind some shingles we have on the gable end.

RE: What's made you happy today? - Can the Man - 26-01-2021

celebrating Burns night

[attachment=2079]

RE: What's made you happy today? - JJB - 26-01-2021

We are teaching the robins to feed near the bedroom window, away from the sparrows who aren't brave enough to feed so near. We have 3 if not 4 robins in the circuit, not all living harmoniously, there have been some spectacular dogfights. At least this morning two fed from the same pile of pellets tolerant of each other.

RE: What's made you happy today? - Spec - 26-01-2021

Had just came back in from a quick shopping, dumped everything into the washing machine and was heading for a shower when the doorbell rang, had to grab my trousers so that I could answer the door and the postman was there with my order of seed potatoes and onion setsSmile